Surgery Date

Deby4fsu
on 3/4/15 1:07 am

Well, after starting the whole process in October 2014, I finally have a surgery date for gastric bypass. APRIL 22! The day after my husband's birthday. I go in on April 14th for several pre-op, pre-admission appointments. I plan to take off from wor****il May 11th. That's about 2 1/2 weeks. I have a desk job, so it shouldn't be too bad. I'm not scared for the surgery but a little concerned about how much pain is involved after the surgery. Especially after I go home. Any information on that would be most appreciated.

Jill724
on 3/4/15 1:21 am
RNY on 07/24/14

I personally didn't have any 'real' pain until my second week. The first week was smooth sailing as long as you do as your told. With me the second week I was having pretty sever pain, I immediately called my nurse and was told that one of my internal stitches may have broke and was sitting on a nerve. She basically told me to lay low and that in a few days it would pass and it did.

Please remember all patients are different, this simply was my experience!!

Best of Luck!!

Deby4fsu
on 3/4/15 1:33 am

Thanks for the reply!

JAMStribe
on 3/4/15 6:29 am

Congrats on the date! honestly I never had any surgery pain to speak of. I did do round the clock meds to ward off any potential :)

That being said, the gas pains... uggh... make sure you have gas X strips at home. They were literally a life saver.  I walked and walked but they help take the edge off.  

I have a desk job too and 2 1/2 weeks was good for me.  Just take it slow and be sure to bring your vitamins, and water with you. 

Deby4fsu
on 3/4/15 7:38 am

Thanks for the info. How about advice for the bowel movement before discharge. Since I probably won't have eaten in several days, how does that get accomplished?

JAMStribe
on 3/4/15 8:49 am

It doesn't.  You'll have to do the leak test before you can have anything at all. If that is ok then you'll get a few ounces to drink... Literally.   When you get home, I had loose almost diarrhea for the next few days.  Be sure to stock miralax and gas X cause you'll probably need it.   

Doingrightin2015
on 3/4/15 9:10 am
RNY on 03/10/15

I started all my process in Sept and have surgery 3/10 my doctor already gave me scripts to get filled and a list of a couple other things to get before I have my surgery....so that I already have them at home. He gave me a script for Zofran, an Prilosec, Oxycodone liquid and had me pick up liquid Tylenol and Colace. Told me to go ahead and start taking the Colace now. He said I should have a BM within 5 days after surgery and going ahead and starting it now would not hurt anything. ....I think it was really to help with this two week diet. LOL

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

JAMStribe
on 3/4/15 10:42 pm

you are lucky you got the Zofran.  My MD wouldn't give that to me even though I had morning sickness for 5 weeks. he said meds could mask any real symptoms so I had to suffer :(

Best of luck to you guys.  The first few weeks are a little rough just trying to figure out what you can and cannot eat and healing.  I slept probably the first 3 days, I had to be in the lazy boy cause crawling up into bed wasn't happening.  Sleep with a pillow over your tummy, it will help keep you relaxed and "protected" so to speak.

Deby4fsu
on 3/5/15 2:26 am

Thanks for the advice for sleeping with a pillow.

JAMStribe
on 3/5/15 6:20 am

you are welcome.  Actually take a pillow for the ride home as well.

Most Active
Recent Topics