stomach pain (gas)

annalisa765
on 12/25/14 8:39 pm - Premont, TX

I'm almost two weeks post opp and even water gives me severe gas pain. What can I take?  Is this normal? When should I poop and how often. I've only gone once. 

Browneyedgirl33
on 12/25/14 9:11 pm

Gas X strips help me.  Also I would recommend starting to take milk of magnesia or miralax at least a tablespoon a day to keep you regular.  Most RNY patients including myself experience a lot of constipation in the beginning.  but the milk of magnesia keeps you regular but you still might not poop for a couple of days at a time even taking that because you are eating much less then you were before.  I am starting my 7th week and still have to do the milk of magnesia.  I also do benefiber powder in my drinks to help too.

annalisa765
on 12/25/14 11:00 pm - Premont, TX

Thanks so much for your response. My doctors office is closed for the holidays and I'm so uncomfortable I don't even wanna go out and visit family. You were extremely helpful. 

4Reel
on 12/26/14 1:35 pm

I am gathering supplies for surgery.  Where did you find the Gas-x strips?  I have checked my local Wal-Mart, Winn Dixie, Publix, and Walgreens....no one had them :(

mamata2
on 12/25/14 11:44 pm

I had a really hard time with water after surgery, for some reason my tummy didn't tolerate it well.  I found that it was much easier mixed with crystal light or diet iced tea.  Also, I drank a lot of decaf lattes (protein through the milk).  Gas-X strips were awesome too.

cspotrun
on 12/25/14 11:45 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

It took me weeks before I was even close to regular.  Also, make sure you are taking the correct iron (I think it's called Ferronyl Carbonyl Iron) that doesn't mess with your intestines.  

Are you swallowing air when you eat and drink?  Taking small sips?  I guess the gas is getting trapped for you.  I think it will get better soon as your swelling decreases.

Karen   

lynnc99
on 12/26/14 6:43 pm

One thing that may help with the gas is some gentle bending. Stand with hands on hips and twist side to side gently 10 times. Then put hands down at your sides and bend to each side (slide your hand down the outer edge of your thigh toward your knee) 10 times. Do these several times a day. It really does help! Of course - if it hurts at all, don't overdo it!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 234 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 65 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 65 views