Ulcers after RNY???

Nanook609
on 2/10/14 3:08 am

Does anyone know the symptoms of ulcers whether marginal or other?  I had RNY surgery 4+ years ago and have had a burning upper belly pain for a few months now with low grade fevers and fatigue and headaches daily.  I had CT scan done but show nothing stomach related but a lesion on my liver.  I am scheduled for an endoscopy and colonoscopy in about 4 weeks.  Thanks for your help, Nan.

Sweetish
on 2/10/14 7:19 am
RNY on 12/12/14

Just wondering...did they say why there was a lesion on your liver?

Nanook609
on 2/10/14 9:00 am

I had some CT scans done of my abdominal pelvic region and there was a small lesion there and they did a liver blood pool test too but it's small and they're going to recheck it in a few months for changes.  They didn't say what caused it or anything and I don't think they could exactly tell what it was since it was very small but still did two extra scans on it to look at it.

thanks, Nan

Amy R.
on 2/10/14 11:15 am

Ulcers cause intense (burning or not) abdominal or other pain depending upon where they are located.  The problem you may have with a standard RnY is that you can develop ulcers in your blind stomach, which cannot be scoped.  Neither the endoscopy or the colonoscopy will show the inside of your remnant stomach either.  This is why it is IMPERATIVE that those with blind stomachs do not use NSAIDS  unless a doctor who fully understands these implications prescribes them and there is absolutely no alternative.

Does the doc doing your scans and tests now realize you are post-op RnY? 

Nanook609
on 2/11/14 1:41 am

It' hard to tell what the actual pain is caused from but I've had a few ct scans as well as an x-ray and ultrasound of my abdomen.  They all know I've had RNY and especially the gastroenterologist doing my endo and colonoscopy.  I don't use NSAIDs but have probably used too much Tylenol due to my constant headaches which I know does a number on your liver but not sure if that is why I have a lesion.  Anyway I'm still hoping someone can figure me out as I'm way past being a patient patient!  thanks Nan

Amy R.
on 2/11/14 6:30 am

Totally know how you feel. I'm having unexplained abdominal pain at the moment as well - severe enough to not respond to double strength Percocet.  Looks like I'll be having an exploratory surgery to hopefully find the cause, which in my case appears may be scar tissue and/or adhesions.

Getting a little impatient myself!  Good luck to you Nan.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 231 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 309 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 86 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?