All Plans are diff. .. BUT

bdaycakegirl
on 1/13/14 10:00 am

My program has me on 4 day liquids pre-op and actually has me eat an egg while still in the hosptial?

I have faith in this program. It is ranked well, great outcomes, yada, yada, but this seems so strange to me after reading everyone else's experiences.

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

poet_kelly
on 1/13/14 10:19 am - OH

Some surgeons don't ask patients to do pre op liquids at all.  And I know a number of patients that were served things like scrambled eggs or cream of wheat in the hospital.

Talk to your surgeon if you have questions or concerns.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/13/14 10:28 am - OH

Well, the liquids pre-op have absolutely no relation to the post-op eating plan, but I can see why it seems weird.

There are a number of surgeons that dont do weeks of liquids and purées post-op.  Some of those surgeons, like mine, put people of soft food as soon as they can tolerate it because they have found that people who do that have far less trouble with grouchy pouches, vomiting, etc. than those who "baby" their pouches for several weeks.  The only person in our support group who had trouble with soft foods just a couple of days out had an inflamed gallbladder and was throwing up even some things like SF pudding and the cream of wheat and had to have gallbladder surgery just a couple of weeks after her RNY. No one else had any trouble beyond the normal occasional queasy feeling with a new food.

My surgeon had us do clear liquids on Day One, full liquids (whi*****luded cream of wheat) on Day Two, and soft foods on Day Three if there were no problems on Day Two. I ate a couple of bites of a scrambled egg on Day Three with no trouble and right after my second week out I ate a few bites of baked buffalo chicken. 

Trust their plan regardless of what you read here about the need for extended liquids.  Our pouches aren't made of Waterford crystal. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

bdaycakegirl
on 1/13/14 10:33 am

This makes me feel a lot better. I have talked to serveral of his patients, and they are not puking all the time, and seem tolerable. I go online and freak out.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/13/14 12:17 pm - OH

I didn't throw up a single time until I was 18 months out (when I ate some kind of dry chicken quickly). I did get queasy a number of times, but that didn't happen until more than a month out after I started adding some of the foods that aren't usually included in the early phases (e.g., raw veggies and pork). Because none of the people I knew IRL had trouble eating (all but 2 had the same early soft foods plan that I did because they had the same surgeon), I was extremely surprised to read of so many people here who were getting sick!

I also never had foamies, and never got anything stuck (my surgeons's instructions were to chew everything until it was mush).  

At one point, I started paying attention to how many of the people struggling to eat solid food had been on an extended period of liquids/purées before starting solid food (to see if my surgeons's experience was reflected in the general Obesity Help RNY population) and found that most of them had been.  I only paid attention for a couple of weeks, and didn't keep a written tally or anything, so it was extremely anecdotal, but was enough to support my surgeon's position.

Also, keep in mind that people who have trouble post a lot because they are having trouble whereas the people who aren't having any trouble have no reason to post, so it makes it seem like many more people are getting sick than actually are.

Lora

tdbull
on 1/13/14 12:31 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Hey Lora. So glad to read your post as I am the same way. I only get queasy and that usually on my protein. Ars. Otherwise I have never thrown up, had the floamies, dumped or felt really bad on anything I have eaten. It worries me that my pouch is so ironclad but surgeon assures me he did small pouch and long bypass for best results. I also eat normally, don't chew my food to mush and drink normally, don't sip.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/13/14 12:42 pm - OH

I don't chew to mush anymore (but still chew more thoroughly than I did before surgery) but was able to drink normally just a short time after surgery.

I have dumped several times (three or four, plus some incidents of just the early sign of shakiness) but it takes a lot of sugar to make it happen... and I can live with dumping once every 2 years, LOL.

I wish more people went into surgery expecting not to have any trouble, because I firmly believe -- and studies show the same in other situations -- that when they expect to have trouble with vomiting, pain, etc., they greatly increase the chances that they will!

I'm glad you are doing well.

PetHairMagnet
on 1/13/14 10:56 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I'd be asking that the egg be poached, personally. It was the first type of egg I could eat, my husband could eat and many of the people in our support group were able to eat. The boiled and scrambled can be ROUGH for some, just FYI.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/13/14 12:22 pm - OH

Even at 6 years out, hard boiled eggs feel like a rock in my pouch even in something like egg salad! They don't make me sick, they just feel VERY heavy.  

I have only had a poached egg once since my surgery (it made me want to have a piece of buttered toast to dip in the yolk, so I have avoided them), and that was when I was early out, so I only ate a little.  Now I'm curious about whether that would feel the same to me as a boiled egg or not...

Lora

bdaycakegirl
on 1/13/14 12:46 pm

I believe the egg is scrambled.

I was originally (when I knew nothing about WLS) considering the LapBand. After I read a gazillion puke stories, I was like NO WAY.

I do NOT want to throw up, nor do I want dumping. I want restriction and malabsorbtion to help get me where I need to be. The idea of wanting to dump seems weird to me (not judging anyone who wants it, just saying it isn't my thing). I don't want to live in fear of eating, or of constantly getting sick. I just want to get healthy and quit making food the focus of my life. Yep, in therapy for that!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 308 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 226 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 292 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?