New Years Eve Surgery Date!

SkinnyScientist
on 10/31/13 4:15 am

I am so excited!  My surgery date is New Years Eve!  Yep! 12/31/2013.

I am really worried though. Not of the surgery, but of: 1) what if I lose the weight and gain it back? and 2) what if I dont lose enough?

I already work out- hard. We are talking cardio kickboxing, tae bo, power yoga (yuck..but you have to be strong and SUPPLE), step aerobics.  Yet here I am at 268.

I guess what I am saying is that I already follow a pretty good diet and I exercise daily.  I have PCOS and it seems like the weight flies on and rarely comes off.

I have started to sew some pretty fashions in anticipation of getting thinner. What if I never get there?  And when I say thinner, I am talking about a size 16/18...not the size  22/24 I currently am.

I havent been a 16 in over a decade. I really would like to see that size again. I remember last time I complained so much about (young and dumb  and in my early 20s). And now I am giving half of my stomach and  1/3 of my small intestines to be it.

I am getting married on 12/27/14.  This is causing all sorts of wedding dress stress (i.e. what size will I be?  What will I look good in?"

I know this sounds dumb. But I am afraid that it ISNT going to happen for me (i.e. the thin-ness and normal size-ness).

Did any of you feel this way (i.e. that you will never get down to a small plus size or that you would regain).

L

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Ocalasam
on 10/31/13 4:29 am
RNY on 12/18/12

I will bet that everyone on here has had the thought that "I'll be the one person that this surgery won't work for."  I know my progress at the beginning was slower than I would have liked (starting out at 256, considered a lightweight), but I started at a size 20 and now I'm a size 8.  Yes, I said 8!!!!  Single digit!!!  I'm about 10 and a half months out and people don't even recognize me.  I'm not done losing yet either.  I wish I had done it sooner.  There are days that I wish I could just drive through McDonalds and get a supersized value meal, like I used to to make me feel good.  However, I couldn't eat more than about 5 fries and maybe a bite of a burger and I would be sick-stuffed.  I think we feel like it won't work for us because so many of us are very successful people. . . just not with weight loss.  We have failed so many times at this, why would this be any different??  I wish you the best!  I wish I could sew!  I've spent a fortune on clothing!

SkinnyScientist
on 10/31/13 4:36 am

Thank you for writing me back!

It makes me feel better. You said EXACTLY what I couldn't articulate.

A size 8 is wonderful!  Congrats!  I hope to join you in single digit land, although I would be happy at a 16.

You are correct on the success thing.  I can do anything I set my mind to...except for weight control. I do not know how to make the fat go away and stay away.

I have literally tried almost everything on my 3 decades in this world. Thousands of dollars spent.

What are you doing with your old clothes?

PetHairMagnet
on 10/31/13 4:54 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On October 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM Pacific Time, SkinnyScientist wrote:

Thank you for writing me back!

It makes me feel better. You said EXACTLY what I couldn't articulate.

A size 8 is wonderful!  Congrats!  I hope to join you in single digit land, although I would be happy at a 16.

You are correct on the success thing.  I can do anything I set my mind to...except for weight control. I do not know how to make the fat go away and stay away.

I have literally tried almost everything on my 3 decades in this world. Thousands of dollars spent.

What are you doing with your old clothes?

I just had a chat with my therapist about this very thing today! I told her that I met a lot of people at support group through my surgeons office that were still seriously overweight (and I used size 16 as my example) but are happy at that size and not worried about getting any smaller. Even some who are only a few months post op declare themselves in maintenance at a weight that still has them as obese. I find it interesting, to say the least.  

She dovetailed that into what I had shared earlier about getting pushback from a LOT of people through unsolicited advice about my needing to stop losing weight. I am in 14 and 12 pants, blouses and dresses. Primarily 14, but a few 12s do work. I still have 40ish pounds to go. I am now overweight per the BMI scale, but I am not stopping yet, that is for sure! I think 10 is as small as I can go...I wear a 13 shoe so I am not what you'd call 'fine boned' but that is a good way off from where I am now.

If you set the bar at a goal that is easy and not really an end game goal, you are selling yourself and your tool short, IMO. You do not need to just 'be happy' you should be jumping out of bed thrilled with the amazing changes in you and the entirely new you that you can live your life with.  

Have 16 be an interim goal, but you really should set another goal after that. 

You can tell yourself you will be a success or you can tell yourself you won't. Either way, you will be 100% right in the end. I guarantee it!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/13 4:59 am

Take one step at a time.You can't do it all in a night.It will all fall into place. You are doing great exercising so that is a great thing you will be stronger when your surgery date comes around.You can do it.

nuleaseonlife
on 10/31/13 6:08 am
  • Christmas 2013....surgery date ....just as nervous as you..I'm worried about vitamins...don't completely understand how to...only that I need to....314 ....worried about understanding my foods not enough knowledge....please help anyone at least about the vitamins I'm sure when foods don't agree with me my body will let me know...            if anyone can  asist ...thank you       
SkinnyScientist
on 10/31/13 7:46 am

Ask your nutritionist for a vitamin regimine (recommended brands and dosage) in writing. Mine gave me one and it even lists the time of day I should take them (i.e. morning, mid morning afternoon and etc).

You do need the vitamins ...especially the B12

SkinnyScientist
on 10/31/13 7:50 am

If you live in the area, you should see her. She works with Dr. Fitzer and is in the DC metro area.  She is really kind and even has visual aids for you. My favorite, when she hauled out the baby spoons (in cool colors) and bowls, and told me where i could get them

In the meal plan she gave me for the seven weeks after surgery, she hauled out the baby spoons again and said, "

When you get to the soft food stage, your "bites" will be just the TIP of this spoon. It should take you 15 bites to eat ONE TEASPOON of food."

She is really descriptive that way. I need that sort of coaching and appreciate it.

PetHairMagnet
on 10/31/13 9:29 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On October 31, 2013 at 2:50 PM Pacific Time, SkinnyScientist wrote:

If you live in the area, you should see her. She works with Dr. Fitzer and is in the DC metro area.  She is really kind and even has visual aids for you. My favorite, when she hauled out the baby spoons (in cool colors) and bowls, and told me where i could get them

In the meal plan she gave me for the seven weeks after surgery, she hauled out the baby spoons again and said, "

When you get to the soft food stage, your "bites" will be just the TIP of this spoon. It should take you 15 bites to eat ONE TEASPOON of food."

She is really descriptive that way. I need that sort of coaching and appreciate it.

That is really, really small. I was told to put my teaspoon into 8 bites and honestly, I could hardly feel THAT in my mouth. I cannot imagine halving that again. Is she talking a heaping teaspoon or a true, measured/flat on top teaspoon?

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

sonyamarie75
on 10/31/13 11:28 am - OH
RNY on 08/20/13 with

I have PCOS too and had the same worries. 

You know what? You just take it one day at a time and use your tool. No one is perfect. Just do the best you can. 

Once the weight starts to melt away (and it does!) you'll be encouraged and start to actually believe you can do it. 

You've got this!!!!

What a great way to start 2014. 

Sonya B, Toledo, Ohio- RNY  08/20/13  

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 70 views