Alcohol Abuse 3 years after Bypass

happyhealing
on 9/17/13 4:39 am

I'm pretty sure I had a drinking problem before surgery, but now it is completely out of control.  I'm wondering if there are statistics or if there is an ongoing study I should be a part of regarding this problem.

poet_kelly
on 9/17/13 4:42 am - OH

I'm not aware of any ongoing study.  There was one study that found about 10% of  post op RNY folks had an alcohol addiction.  That study found that 7% had an alcohol addiction prior to their RNY and 3% developed alcoholism after their RNY.

Are you getting treatment?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

happyhealing
on 9/17/13 4:48 am

Cold Turkey treatment and I joined a gym.  Taking a women's bible study class starting in October.  I quit for 12 weeks over a year ago when I had my second hernia surgery.  I'm trying to take off 10 lbs.  Got down to 170 and haven't been able (or haven't tried hard enough) to lose 10 more.  I think I'm on the right track doing all the right positive things.

poet_kelly
on 9/17/13 4:50 am - OH

Joining and gym and taking a Bible study class both sound like good things to do, but neither are proven treatments for alcohol abuse.  I would really consider seeking treatment to help you avoid future addictive behaviors.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

happyhealing
on 9/17/13 4:52 am

What kind of treatment is there?  

poet_kelly
on 9/17/13 4:54 am - OH

12 Step groups like AA, or other self-help programs like Women for Sobriety, group therapy, individual therapy, intensive outpatient programs and inpatient treatment programs when needed.

cajungirl
on 9/17/13 5:15 am
It's unfortunate that it happens more often than most think. I see Kelly posted some info on a study I wish they would do a newer one I honestly believe it's higher than 7-10%.

Get yourself to an AA meeting or other addiction help. There's also an addiction forum here on OH I can't post the link from my phone maybe someone else can do it for you.

Good luck you CAN do this

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

happyhealing
on 9/17/13 5:21 am

The Women's bible study group is basically the same thing.  Thanks, that link would be helpful if you get a chance to send it from your computer.

cajungirl
on 9/17/13 6:15 am
See if this works. If not click on the groups tabs on the top bar then type in transfer addiction.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/crossingtotransferaddictions/.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

cjd3161
on 9/17/13 6:35 am - TX

Wow just been reading these post, is there a reason why some turn to alcohol after this procedure?  I've never heard this.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 319 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 237 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views