Awareness and Accountability

Barbara C.
on 9/11/13 4:02 am, edited 9/11/13 4:13 am - Raleigh, NC

After six years on this journey, I think that the most important things that I've find to help maximize the weight loss opportunity and maintenance is developing and exercising awareness and accountability. I think that most of us that have had a serious weight issue also have had what I often refer to as 'Three Monkey Syndrome' aka 'Hear no evil, See no evil, Speak no evil.' This lack of awareness and accountability can and have had a crippling effect on many of us. The good news is that we can develop ways to be aware and in tune with what we consume and our level of activity. What we each do to become aware of our actions and the impact that they have on us varies depending on our needs at the time, but the need to be aware never goes away.

What do you do to be aware of your intake and activity?

Do you have things that you do to help you be accountable to yourself?

Have the tools you use to be aware and accountable changed over the course of your journey?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

karenp8
on 9/11/13 5:38 am - Brighton, IL

I am only a year out but make myself accountable by driving an hour and a half one way to support group each month and by journaIing my food and exercise each day.

Barbara C.
on 9/11/13 6:03 am - Raleigh, NC

Karen,

First of all, I'd like to congratulate you on your successes. Of course reaching your goal is a major success, but continuing to commit to your support group meeting and journaling both your intake and activity are both great ways to remain both aware and accountable. I hope that you'll be pleased to know that studies have shown that those who are active with a support group and maintain intake and activity logs have significantly higher rates of long term success in maintaining their excess weight loss and all of associated gains that come with losing all the excess weight.

Keep up the good work!

Barbara

jazzycatz
on 9/11/13 6:37 am - Joppa, MD

Well I don't have anything original but...

Although I no longer weigh and record every bite like I did the first two years I still keep a daily overview of all that I have eaten. Helps me see if carbs are sneaking in since those are my biggest weakness and always will be.

I do keep a precise log of my physical exercise everyday. I'll slack if I don't. I wear a pedometer everyday and track my steps although I don't count them as exercise. It helps me see how much I am moving. It's easy for me to sit more than I should.

As I got further out from surgery mindful eating became more of a useful tool for me. I try to keep it up. It's not easy for me.

I use a lot of positive self talk. That is almost embarrassing to admit. Amazing how we can talk ourselves down and not bat an eye but say to yourself something like "You are a good person and deserve to be healthy" and you feel like a fool even though you haven't said it out loud.

I think a lot more of my tools now are mental like that as I have moved forward.  

Barbara C.
on 9/11/13 7:27 am - Raleigh, NC

I think that the tools that we need evolve with our journey. It sounds to me like you are aware of what works for you and when you need to alter what you are doing. That sounds like success to me!

Barbara

vivking48
on 9/11/13 7:22 am - MN
RNY on 08/01/12

I see a nutritionist every couple of months and she helps me with my hypoglycemia.  I also use a fitbit (love!) to track steps.  I have started working with a personal trainer once a week so I have someone to be accountable to besides myself (can't always rely on me!).  I periodically will enter my food in Myfitnesspal.  I try to make myself accountable to as many people as I can so that I don't let myself slip.

Highh        

Barbara C.
on 9/11/13 7:29 am - Raleigh, NC

It is good to see that you are able to make yourself aware and accountable in ways that work well for you.

Keep up the good work!

Barbara

gbsinsatx
on 9/11/13 2:36 pm, edited 9/11/13 2:58 pm - San Antonio, TX

I have always had a clear goal and plan and I have never swayed from it. I am very strict and strong-willed. My personality, tolerance, life experience and stamina are all part of the equation. I know myself and my limitations.

I am always prepared for challenges, knowing I may run into some roadblocks along the way. I am willing to create a way to overcome whatever obstacles I may encounter. If I find I need more resources, or I need to gain more knowledge, I actively seek it. 

I do not make excuses. I know what I want and where I am going. I do not cry over a mis-step. I do not get others to join me in a pity party.

I remain positive, purposeful and upbeat. I hold myself to a higher standard. I do not care about what everyone else is doing. I have come to know myself and have addressed those secret places in my life we all tend to avoid. I am happy, content and at peace with my body.

After much experimentation, I currently eat 1650 calories a day to maintain my weight loss of 190 pounds at a weight of 141 pounds. My height is 5'3.5". I am 58 years young.

I weigh myself faithfully once a week and have done so since 3 months out from RNY surgery on March 22, 2010.

I do not participate in a formal exercise program due to Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis. I do move around a lot more and do a lot more walking.

I eat every 2-3 hours. I eat 3 main meals and 3-4 snacks daily that include protein.

I eat at least 100 grams of protein a day. I eat dairy products that are no fat/low fat. I eat simple (dairy, fruit) and complex (beans, vegetables, whole grains) carbohydrates (I do not count daily grams). I also eat eggs occasionally. I am a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian. 

I take all of my supplements and drink 64 ounces of liquids minimum.

I have never introduced a food into my mouth that I have not planned to eat. I always consider the protein and nutritional value of each morsel. 

I go to my surgeons office each year and my doctors office is impressed with my success and my labs come back awesome.

I know this rigid, controlled way of life is not for everyone, but it works great for me!

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Barbara C.
on 9/12/13 1:32 am - Raleigh, NC

I'm glad to hear that you've found what works for you. I think that we each need to find what works for us and while your 'rigid' regimen works for you and is exactly what you need, others may need something different. I appreciate that you understand and acknowledge that what works for one may or may not work for another. I also appreciate your sharing what does work for you because it may give someone following you ideas that they can employ.

Wishing you continued success,

Barbara

Most Active
Recent Topics