CBC number question MPV, Prealbumin & iron

Nanook609
on 9/11/13 9:31 am, edited 9/11/13 9:32 am

I just a copy of my results from the CBC I had done back in July and have a difficult time with two out of the three I had low/high numbers in.

The first was my MPV was 7.8 and listed as low

The second was the prealbumin was 45.8 and listed as high

Third iron was at 50 and listed as low.

Also, am 4+ years post-op.

Any clarity to this would be of much appreciated help, Nancy.

poet_kelly
on 9/11/13 9:40 am - OH

I'm not sure what to do about the MPV or what would make pre-albumin high.

I do know if your iron is low, you need to take more iron.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sarahakers11
on 9/11/13 10:16 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with
Kelly my MPV was low also and my RA said she thought it was probably related to the timing of my cycle which was when I had my blood drawn. But these were my first labs and I'm certainly no expert. Heck I could have even mid understood the RA.

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

Nanook609
on 9/11/13 9:42 am

Thanks I don't either!  I need to see if my numbers on my iron have gone up.

Sarahakers11
on 9/11/13 10:14 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with
My MPV and iron were also low but not drastically my RA Said it was probably because i was having or had just finished havingy period when I had blood drawn. I can't remember exactly what day it ended but I know it was within a few days of my blood draw. Just something to consider

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/11/13 11:18 am - OH

FWIW, when I discussed my first set of full labs with my surgeon, I was told that a slightly high or low MPV (as with several other things like MCV and RDW) is pretty meaningless by itself and really only tells them that there may be a physical issue when it is significantly high or low and is combined with other values that are too high or too low.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

nspg01
on 9/13/13 3:55 pm

Hello, so sorry to hear you are also having issues.  I had RNY on 9/11/2009.  I've lost 134 #'s and am not at my goal.Had colon  cancer last year and have  have been anemic for about 2years. Had appt with my oncologist yesterday and he said I  have iron deficient anemis.  He scheluled series of 4 IV iron infusions each takes 3 hours.  Had been taking iron pills 3 times daily and it didn't make a difference.  I start the infusions on Monday, 23rd. 

Hope you get a diagnosis soon so you can begin treatment..  Good luck and keep us informed

Nanook609
on 9/14/13 1:38 am

Thanks, good luck to you also!  My daughter needs the iron infusions too and I know they're not fun.  Anyway now we're looking into a possible Lyme disease and was just tested for that.  Anyway hope you're doing well, Nancy.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 289 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 294 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 286 views