Having trouble loosing the weight needed for insurance approval...need advice

mama_of_two
on 9/3/13 2:29 am - UT

Hi, I have been trying to loose 10% of my weight in a 6 month time period so that I can be approved by my insurance and I am loosing weight but just not fast enough. My insurance is State Medicaid and will only pay for RNY or LapBand. I am also scared to have the surgery and I am 35 and I want at least 2 more children.  My BMI is 47.

Any ideas or advice please. THANK YOU!!

sonyamarie75
on 9/3/13 2:38 am - OH
RNY on 08/20/13 with

How much is 10 percent based on your weight and how much have you lost so far?

I lost my pre-op weight by doing low carb. I did 1-2 protein shakes a day as meals, 2 low carb snacks, a low carb dinner, and walked every day. It was hard, but I was determined to get it off. I also tried to cut down on eating out, and if I had to eat out I got a greek salad. 

Sonya B, Toledo, Ohio- RNY  08/20/13  

Misty Morgan
on 9/3/13 2:53 am - Goshen , OH
RNY on 04/24/13
Protein shakes helped me.

I also made sure to have small healthy snack during the day. Those will keep your metabolism and blood sugar up.

Limit your calories everyday. Use MyFitnessPal! It's been a lifesaver for me and it really helped me before surgery. You would not believe the nutritional content in some foods!!!

Cut out all pop or drinks with calories or sugar.

Drink plenty of water. Aim for for at least 60 oz a day!

No junk food of any kind, don't buy it.

Exercise. Walk or better yet, join a gym. It's usually pretty cheap and not expensive if you shop around. They have water classes that are easy on your joints too.

If you follow these, you will lose weight like crazy!

poet_kelly
on 9/3/13 2:58 am - OH

Are you working with a registered dietician?  If so, he or she should be  helping you develop a meal plan that will allow you to lose the required weight.  If not, I recommend making an appointment with one.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mama_of_two
on 9/3/13 3:01 am - UT

Ok, Thank you, I will do those things. 

Mothers: what are your thoughts on WLS and having children afterwards? Should I wait to have the surgery until I'm done having children?

chulbert
on 9/3/13 3:06 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I'm not a mother - I'm not even a woman - but my surgeon covered this specific point in his seminar.  Weight loss surgery will have no bearing on your ability to have children; however, they do recommend you wait a year or two.

chulbert
on 9/3/13 3:04 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Why are you having trouble?  Do you lack the skills necessary to eat healthfully or do you lack the commitment?  A dietician can help you with the former but you will need to look within for the latter.  There is a kernel of truth to the aphorism, "If I could do it on my own I wouldn't need surgery," but only a kernel.  10% over six months is quite achievable.

Nikke2003
on 9/3/13 3:22 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I was also required to complete a six month supervised diet and lose 10% of my weight, which was 44 lbs. (I started at 444). It was hard work, but it certainly is possible.

My weight management doctor told me to stick to a diet of 1800 calories with less than 30% coming from fat. Carbs should be limited to things like whole wheat bread, veggies, etc. I still ate plenty of carbs, jus****ched my intake... cut out the sugar, simple carbs (pasta, white bread, etc.). I quit drinking caffeine, soda (altogether), and started drinking 80-100 oz of water per day.

The first 2 1/2 weeks of eating VERY high protein, limited carbs and sugar was very tough. BUT, I did find that if I could just white knuckle it through those first 2 1/2 weeks, a lot of cravings went away. Try to get any exercise that you can handle as well... a little bit can go a long way in the beginning.

I had my surgery one week shy of 6 calendar months from the day of my first visit and lost 107 lbs. Unless you have a medical issue preventing weight loss... it is possible, but difficult. Hang in there... you've got to start somewhere... speaking with a registered dietician is a good idea for sure.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

BWB
on 9/3/13 3:50 am

I had to lose 25 lbs from 289.  I thought I could never do it but on a liver reduction diet ( no carbs) I lost 35 lbs in 4.5 months.  It was no carbonated beverages, no caffeine, no sugar, the regular lo carb diet.  You may not be exercising enough.  Your weight may be high enough that it hurts or your back hurts ?????  You have to move if for only 15 minutes at a time until you can increase it without hurting yourself.  Drink lots and don't be easy on yourself.  Only you know what you aren't doing to keep losing.

mama_of_two
on 9/3/13 6:27 am - UT

Thank you for your responses, I think I need to take the diet more seriously and drink more water. Thanks for your input!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 308 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 226 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 292 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 226 views