Alcohol?

jbasney
on 8/29/13 3:00 pm - Bandon, OR

Hey everyone, I am 6 weeks out and I am feeling great. I love that I can eat more of a variety than I thought I was going to be able too. Any way I am going to Hawaii on vacation in a couple of days any suggestions on what your experience has been with alcohol, and what you have been able to drink? I know I'm not going to have a lot I just want to be able to try a few of the typical Hawaii ****tails.    broken heart

laura_vermont
on 8/29/13 3:46 pm

I wouldn't do it.  Too much sugar in most of them & not worth the addiction risk.  My surgeon recommended waiting at least 18 months before even trying alcohol.

High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Karen R.
on 8/29/13 4:55 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

The first alcohol I had was three months after my surgery.  I had no issues.  I'd heard all kinds of warnings about the booze hitting harder, faster.  I maybe felt the teensiest bit wobbly a little faster.  But truly, it wasn't enough to incapacitate me and the feeling passed quite quickly. 

Alcohol is definitely nothing but empty calories and ****tails (which have always been my drink of choice) are often loaded with sugar.  So you want to keep your intake low because there are really no nutritional benefits.  But as a vacation splurge, I see no reason why you couldn't do one drink a day.  That's what I did when I went away on vacation and I certainly didn't suffer for it.  I just wouldn't make a habit of it in your daily life.

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Candy V.
on 8/29/13 6:07 pm - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

At less than 2 months post op, I think it is a really bad idea.  I am almost a year and have not had more than a half glass of wine.  Have fun, snitch a sip from someone else so you can try it and don't chance it having your own.

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

MaeFB
on 8/29/13 8:38 pm - Townsend, MA
I'll preface this with two notes: for one, you shouldn't do it! Doctors orders are there for a reason! For two, I totally DID so it about 6-8 weeks out and here is some advice...

One: it is highly addictive to drink post op, be careful.

Two: do NOT eat ANYTHING within a half hour of drinking, maybe an hour. Why not? You will overfill your stomach and wind up puking your guys up or having burps/foamies which are the worst thing you'll experience post op.

Three: Stick to one per day, you'll just end up too full and feeling sick he whole day.

Four: it WILL hit you harder. Partially because you can't have food and a drink at the same time. Don't push yourself too far.

Five: TAKE YOUR ANTACIDS AND MAYBE EVEN A TUMS. These ****tails are LOADED with acidic juices like orange juice, cranberry, pineapple, and he last hung you want to do is send that much acid into a newly healed stomach/intestine.

You know, you'll be on vacation on the loser's bench, you're going to disobey doctor's orders and that's your prerogative honestly. HAVE FUN, and BE CAREFUL.

Jacob H.
on 8/29/13 11:06 pm - CA

Only reason I wouldn't do it, is because for the price your gonna pay for one drink, it's just not worth it. If you do drink, buy a really small bottle, mix it heavily with crystal light, and see what happens in a controlled environment. I am a social drinker, I'll have one to six a month. For a lot of people it hits a little harder, but wears off faster. Because alcohol metabolizes into sugar, if you have a drink that's high in sugar, you will probably dump. Also keep some tums on hand it affects us all differently. Cheers

chulbert
on 8/29/13 11:27 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I don't think there's any physiological reasons that doctors recommend avoiding alcohol.  It's more due to empty calories, the potential to dump, and the complexity of managing alcohol when you're still trying to readjust yourself to eating.

Booze is like squirting lighter fluid on a BBQ: it hits us hard and fast, then it's gone just as quick.  At least that's my experience.

I'm pretty liberal in what I'm willing to try because I'm committed to developing a healthy relationship with food where nothing is gone forever.  However, Hawaiian ****tails at six weeks would make me a little nervous.

Please proceed with caution.  You don't want to dump on vacation.

Day_dream_believer
on 8/30/13 2:53 am

I wouldn't do it.  What does your Dr. suggest about drinking alcohol?  I was advised not to drink for a year.  Aside from going against what my Dr. said I would be concerned about the sugar in a ****tail.  Is it worth it to ruin a night in Hawaii because you are dumping.  A vacation is not the time to try new things.  

MsBatt
on 8/30/13 3:23 am

Rapid weight loss is hard on the liver. So is alcohol. NOT a good idea.

kinny09
on 8/30/13 9:39 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

I wouldn't risk it because you are very early out...With all that Hawaii has to offer, from beautiful beaches to nature, I would make the trip more about that, plus any additional activity you do  can only help with your weight-loss to boot, a huge plus imho. I'm sure theres no reason you can't make your own Hawaiian ****tails, you can google how to make them, and wait till you're further out and at home just to be safe. That is what I would do...

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 70 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??