Low Vitamin D and Low Iron

psych_rainbow
on 8/17/13 10:36 am - Atlanta, GA
  Preferences § 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - = Backspace   Tab q w e r t y u i o p [ ]   Return     capslock a s d f g h j k l ; ' \   shift ` z x c v b n m , . / shift     English     Deutsch   Español   Français   Italiano   Português   Русский   alt alt     Preferences

So, I've been having these ongoing headaches and bouts of light headedness for several months now.  After extensive testing (including EKGs, CAT scans, and MRIs), no one could find any reasons as to why.  I was finally diagnosed with migraine headaches and put on a beta blocker, but I question that diagnosis.  Recently, I went to the doctor for my annual exam and it was discovered that my vitamin D and iron levels were very low (vitamin D at 23 and iron at 9).  My doctor ordered prescription strength vitamin D2 for me (50,000 IU) and directed me to take it once every two weeks.  From everything I've been reading, this is not the kind I should be taking.  She also advised me to take iron supplements (iron sulfate) twice a day. Now I am thinking that the ongoing headaches and light headedness are related to these low levels.  I am very concerned with my levels being this low. (It's important to note that I had already been taking 2000 IUs of vitamin D3 about 3-5 times per week, but perhaps I was taking the wrong kind - the green liquid pills).  Any advice on how to safely and aggressively get the numbers back up from those of you who have been in this situation in the past?  Also, those of you who have ongoing good labs, what is your regimen, including how much and what brands of all supplements you take each day?  Thanks in advance.

cajungirl
on 8/17/13 11:28 am
You are correct what was prescribed was D-2 you need to get your hands on DRY D-3. You may find it at your local vitamin shop but probably in 1000 iu only (or they may have higher doses). You can order 5000 iu or higher amounts on amazon (Biotech brand) or at www.vitalady.com. They have doses as high as 50,000 iu each.

Iron sulfate isn't the best for us and may hurt your stomach and cause constipation. Heme or carbonyl seem to work best for most but we are each different so you may need to try one and if it doesn't work try something else. What was your ferritin level? Some of us have to take iron infusions to keep our levels up.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

psych_rainbow
on 8/18/13 12:37 pm - Atlanta, GA
  Preferences § 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - = Backspace   Tab q w e r t y u i o p [ ]   Return     capslock a s d f g h j k l ; ' \   shift ` z x c v b n m , . / shift     English     Deutsch   Español   Français   Italiano   Português   Русский   alt alt     Preferences

Thanks so much for your response.  I am ordering a higher dosage of vitamin D3 from vitalady.com, as well as the carbonyl iron.  I will also check with my doctor to see what my ferritin level is.

poet_kelly
on 8/17/13 11:36 am - OH

Most post ops need at least 10,000 IU D3 every day - I've known three that could maintain a good level (80 according to the Linus Pauling Institute) on 5000 IU D3 a day and none that could maintain a good level on less than that.  Many need more than 10,000 IU a day - I have to take 50,000 IU d3 three times a week to keep my level around 100. 

D2 has to be converted to D3 in the body and it takes a lot of D2 to make a little D3.  Taking 50,000 IU D2 every other week is unlikely to do much at all for your vitamin D level, and 23 is extremely low.

The headaches and dizziness are likely due to your very low iron.  What was your ferritin level?  You may need to see a hematologist for iron infusions.

A month ago, my iron was 96 but my ferrin had dropped to 15.  I increased my iron from 75 mg a day to 300 mg a day - that's elemental iron.  I use carbonyl iron, which is all elemental iron.  I don't like ferrous sulfate because it usually causes such bad constipation, plus it's not absorbed as well in a low acid environment like our pouch after RNY.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

psych_rainbow
on 8/18/13 12:41 pm - Atlanta, GA

Thanks so much for your response.  It was very helpful.  I have a good idea how to move forward to get my levels back up to par.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/17/13 12:00 pm - OH

Yeah, the prescription D2 won't do you much good and the D3 in oil hasn't been getting absorbed much because we malabsorb fats (and that includes all vitamins in oil (D, E, omega 3, etc.).  Many of us have to take HUGE amounts of Vit D to keep outpr levels up.  My Vit D level was 9 pre-op, and I messed around for almost a YEAR trying to get it up by increasing the daily dose a couple of thousand units at a time.  I finally took the advice of folks here and got 50,000 unit dry D3 capsules and started taking them twice a week (and then three times a week for a while) to get my level up.  Now I take it twice a week to KEEP my level up.  That is almost the equivalent of 15,000 units per day.

As far as iron, I wasn't taking any for several years after my surgery because I had undergone a hysterectomy, but then my levels started dropping so I started taking it.  I did not try the iron sulfate, but understand that it isn't the best option for us.  I now take the Tender Iron (the 60mg version with Vit C) daily. It is carbonyl iron.

As far as the other vitamins, I take 2 Centrum multivitamins daily, a B-complex 3 times a week, zinc, and 1600mg of calcium citrate (a combination of Upcal D mixed in liquid, capsules, Bariatric Advantage raspberry chews, and Calcet Creamy Bites in lemon or chocolate).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

psych_rainbow
on 8/18/13 12:44 pm - Atlanta, GA

Thanks Lora!  I just ordered the 50,000 IU vitamin D3 from vitalady.com, as well as the carbonyl iron.  I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

PetHairMagnet
on 8/18/13 1:43 am
RNY on 05/13/13

You have to take DRY D, not wet. I get mine at Vitamin Shoppe and take 10K a day plus an extra 5K 3 days a week. I had low D to begin with.The prescription is not going to help you at all. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

psych_rainbow
on 8/18/13 12:45 pm - Atlanta, GA

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.  I am definitely going to get dry vitamin D3 and will up my daily dosage to get my levels up.

Colorado.Kid
on 9/22/13 2:10 pm

Hi

I believe we have the same issue. I have been in pain, lightheaded, dizzy, and just not feeling well.I have been to the MD so many times. I have now taken this into my own hands. My vitamin D and Iorn fell into extreme low levels about 10 months ago. They gave me a daily dose of the over the counter iorn and 50,000. units of D once a  month.   Well that did not work...

So about two weeks ago, I reallystarted researching this issue. I got the MD to increase the Vitamin D to 50,000 units weekly with an additional 50,000 on the first of the month.

I also fond a vitamin proferrin.. you have to have you pharmacy order it, however you do not need a perscription for it.  you take it 3x a day..for the iorn.....

I amfeeling better and will have the labs rechecked in one month.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 308 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 226 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 292 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 226 views