4 years post-op and feel very tired..........

Nanook609
on 7/25/13 9:16 am

It's been over four years since my revision from lapband to RNY and over the past year I've started to feel bad and can't really put a finger on it.  I've put back about 20lbs from my original loss of about 70 over the course of years 2-3 but that's not really the issue.  I'm just tired all the time and have headaches on a daily basis.  Get dizzy also bending over and under my eyes I have huge bags!  So basically I feel like I've aged 20 years during the span of one year.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Thanks!

poet_kelly
on 7/25/13 9:21 am - OH

How's your iron and ferritin levels?  Fatigue, headaches, and dizziness are all common symptoms of iron deficiency.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Nanook609
on 7/25/13 9:26 am

I've had blood work done by my PA and at the hospital and everything looks normal so it's hard to figure out!  Maybe I need to go back to the bariatric center.

Nanook609
on 7/25/13 9:27 am

By the way I'm not familiar with "ferritin levels"

poet_kelly
on 7/25/13 9:30 am - OH

Ferritin is like your iron storage.  Have you been getting that checked when you get labs done?

It doesn't matter which doc orders your labs.  The results won't change if you go back to your bariatric center and have them order them.

Are you certain your iron level is good, though?  Do you know the number?  Or did they just tell you it was good?

And do you know what your ferritin level was?

If you don't know the numbers, you may be low on iron.  That would explain your symptoms.  Of course it could be something else, but that is the first thing I would want to check, myself.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Nanook609
on 7/25/13 9:45 am

The did check for anemia but all the blood work so far has been done by my primary c p and not my bariatric doctor so I'm wondering if they look in more detail for some of these things.  Now that I've met my deductible for the year I'm okay with any more blood work but just this one test cost over $1,000!! lol and so I was a bit squeamish about getting more lab work done.  I''ll jot down what you've mentioned and bring it up tomorrow.  Like I've said I'm out over 4 years but it's been 3 years since I've been to the bariatric doctor's office for anything.  Thanks!

poet_kelly
on 7/25/13 9:47 am - OH

So you didn't actually see the lab report, right?  Get a copy so you know what your numbers are.

Nanook609
on 8/1/13 5:03 am

Just heard back about mine and my daughter's lab work, and I am only a little low and don't know the numbers but was in shock that they finally called me back!  Anyway my daughter has had anemia since her RNY 5 years ago and  I was anemic prior to surgery but had an ablation done so my periods are not heavy.  Anyway long story short they put us both on Ferrous Sulfate 325mg for two weeks and then are rechecking our blood work.  When I get the recheck I'm going to ask for my lab results to keep and research it myself.  Thanks for all your help, Nancy!

LJ1972
on 7/25/13 9:23 am - FL

Ask your doc about B1 injections (thiamine).  My B1 levels were perfectly normal on my labs, but I stayed fatigued and saggy eyed constantly.  I started getting B1 injections every other week and the difference is AMAZING.  In fact, I missed just one week because of my schedule and thought I was coming down with the flu.  Had my injection and felt better within 30 minutes. I also do B12 injections rather than oral / nasal.  ( am 2yrs out)

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

Nanook609
on 7/25/13 9:29 am

Wow, that's a lot of injections, I'm going to see my PA at the center tomorrow but I just wanted to check here first to get ideas from the experts!  I've never had a b12 shot or b1 and it's been 3 years since I've visited the RNY doc so I suppose it's my own fault!  Are they something that a lot of people do for themselves and do you get prescriptions???  Thanks

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 367 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 246 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 151 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 309 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?