Alcohol Abuse after year 2

happyhealing
on 2/20/13 7:09 am

Does anyone know about an article that talks about alcohol abuse because of a difference in your brain function as well as the alcohol going directly to the liver and not through the stomach?  I've already heard the story on giving up one vice for another, but this study seems more reasonable.

MackenzieLee
on 2/20/13 9:47 am

My understanding of this issue is that the ability to absorb alcohol is increased because of the bypass surgery. It gets into the bloodstream quicker (so not directly to the liver.....) - this is due to the small size of the stomach and the bypassed duodenum and then absorbed into the bloodstream.  

For some people who do not deal with the issues that made them obese in the first place (ie. overeating for emotional reasons, or whatever) it is like replacing one vice for another as the core issue hasn't been dealt with. Also, people with gastric bypass surgery also don't have to drink as much to get drunk due to the fast absorption of the alcohol and therefore an increase in the potential of abuse.

Here is one article that I found, you can google roux en y gastric bypass surgery and alcohol for more.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20120623/Roux-en-Y-gastric-bypass-surgery-can-increase-risk-of-alcohol-use-disorders.aspx

Hope that helps!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 234 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 66 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??