Mental deficit after RNY?

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 1/8/13 4:24 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12

This was my response to a reply about regretting WLS, in which the poster said she had to quit college due to post-RNY problems with concentration, etc. Does anyone have knowledge about this?

I've never come across reports of mental deficits after RNY before. Now I'm worried. My focus and short-term memory problem are getting noticeable. I attributed it to getting older, stress & anxiety, and learning a completely new way of living with the WLS.

It's known that anesthesia affects the mind temporarily; it shouldn't last as long as eight or mine months, though, should it?

Megan K.
on 1/8/13 4:30 am
RNY on 02/18/13

I am pre-op so take what I am about to say with a HUGE grain of salt, BUT one common complication with RNY is vitamin deficiency,  (no surprise there, thats why all should be taking them for life).  A side effect of deficient B vitamin (I believe specifically B12, but again don't quote me) is memory/concentration difficulties.    

That being said, I could easily see a correlation if the B deficiency is not noted/corrected--that's why we have to stay on top of those fun vitamins

Other than that, I've not come across any other mentions of memory difficulties following RNY (or other WLS).

Sarah R.
on 1/8/13 4:37 am

No expert in this either, but it came up on a facebook group a day or so ago and lots of us said we had issues with this now...and B12 deficit was mentioned.

robyn_fresh
on 1/8/13 4:45 am
RNY on 12/18/12

My mother who had rny 7 years ago was having major problems at work with memory and concentration as well as lack of energy. She was finally diagnosed as deficient in B12 and Vitamin D. B12 shots were prescribed as well as extra vitamin D capsules and sun. She is doing better now.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/8/13 4:57 am

Mineral and vitamin deficiency may cause that.  Low iron, low B12, low other minerals - essential to us may also cause mental issue.  Body changes - hormonal - ketosis - body learns to use different fuel - brain needs glucose... but can works with ketones...thouse some claim not as well..  I know that there was time when my iron tanked that I could not concentrate. Even now - 4+ years post op I deal with strange anxiety - that I did not have before.  I get overwhelmed with some tasks.  This is new to me. I used to work very well under pressure. No anymore.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

hannan
on 1/8/13 4:58 am - FL
RNY on 06/06/12

I had problems with being very tired for about 5 months after surgery, it has gotten much better now I have more energy and I'm able to get things done. I have ADHD (always have) and I continue to treat it. My major problem was just being exhausted for a while after surgery but I got used to it and it doesn't affect me. I do notice when I consistently eat a high protein diet and take my vitamins that I have more energy and focus better than when I don't.  

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 1/8/13 5:06 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12

Thank you for your responses! A bottle of B is in my hand right now. I've been out of D for a couple of weeks and if I can remember (ha ha) I'll go buy some more today. A brain is a terrible thing to waste. 

LadyAnastacia
on 1/8/13 8:46 am
RNY on 11/06/12

Just remember that post-RNY we don't take B12 pills you swallow.  It's either sub-lingual tablets, nasal spray, or a shot.  I do the monthly shot and the end of the month I find out if I need it more frequently.

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 1/8/13 9:00 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12

Right. My bottle of sublingual B complex with B12 is in my hand. 

MinnieMouse1
on 1/8/13 5:51 am
RNY on 12/06/12

My surgeon told me to be very careful about B1. Too little can cause in changeable brain damage.  Here is info I found online: 

Wernicke's encephalopathy and Korsakoff syndrome are different conditions that are both due to brain damage caused by a lack of vitamin B1 (thiamine).

A lack of vitamin B1 is common in people with alcoholism. It is also common in persons whose bodies do not absorb food properly (malabsorption), such as sometimes occurs after obesity surgery.

Korsakoff syndrome, or Korsakoff psychosis, tends to develop as Wernicke's symptoms go away. Wernicke's encephalopathy causes brain damage in lower parts of the brain called the thalamus and hypothalamus. Korsakoff psychosis results from damage to areas of the brain involved with memory.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001776/

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 323 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 365 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 13 replies · 94 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?