Post-op Roasted Vegetable Stock

longhornrose
on 9/12/12 1:45 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
Rats.  I found a recipe for vegetable broth that sounded heavenly, and thought I'd give it a try so I'd have something for my post-op week of liquids.  Whipped it up last night, and it is FANTASTIC!!!

except. . .

I used too much seasoning, and it's burning my mouth!  Recipe calls for Montana Mike's steak seasoning "to taste", but I had to go and really pour it on at the beginning, which was a big mistake.  It is so tasty, but it's got too much zip for my taste buds!

FYI, here's the recipe:

Preheat oven to 450 deg.

6 bell peppers:  2 yellow, 2 red, 2 orange  (I only had one of each on hand), seeded & cut into chunks 
3 Vidalia onions, peeled & quartered (I'm sure pretty much any onions would do)
1 bunch celery, quartered & without leaves
2 tomatoes, quartered (I didn't have fresh, but was going to use canned & forgot!)
2 turnips, peeled & quartered
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 lb. carrots, peeled and cut into 4ths
2 - 3 Tbls. olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1 bay leaf
Montana Mike's Steak Seasoning, to taste

Add olive oil to veggies and stir around until coated.
Place in a roasting pan & roast for about 45 min., until lightly browned

Transfer veggies to large stock pot, add garlic cloves and seasoning, and water to cover (I added a couple inches over level of veggies.)  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 2 - 3 hours.

I think you could mix and match lots of different vegetables, but this mix is really good.  The sweet potatoes give it a little bit of sweetness.

I found the recipe in the book Weight-Loss Surgery Connection by Melissa Debin-Parish.  There are also recipes for chicken broth and seafood broth.

Beth

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/12/12 2:17 pm
mmm, this sure sounds good, Beth.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

molly3613
on 9/12/12 2:29 pm - TX
RNY on 01/24/13
What about a crock pot with fat free chicken broth instead of water. A huge crock pot! Then do you just eat the broth if it is a liquid week or run it through the Ninja and liquify it all?
longhornrose
on 9/12/12 3:20 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
I'm sure a crock pot would work, but there were so many vegetables, I don't think they would have fit into my large one, and of course you need to add the liquid.  Chicken broth would be fine, I guess, but it has so much taste on its own that I wouldn't worry about it.  I was planning on making chicken broth today, but I'm so scattered thinking about surgery tomorrow that I can't remember my name, so guess just I'll just stick the chicken in the oven for family's supper tonight.   

Beth

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

gardeninggal
on 9/12/12 5:37 pm - Midland, Canada
 Hi Longhornrose!

Drats, I just left you a message and I thought you were just seeing your surgeon tomorrow for an appointment but you are having your SURGERY tomorrow.  Best wishes and a  speedy recovery and that soup broth will be waiting for you upon your return.  So happy for you that it is finally your turn.  

Nancy

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 234 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 150 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 64 views