Looking for a little reassurance

longhornrose
on 8/29/12 10:05 am - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
Okay, with my surgery date set for 9/13, and the reality of actually having WLS setting in, I'm beginning to second-guess myself. Hope someone out there who's had some experience with similar cir****tances will chime in!

I'm 60; will be 61 in Oct. When I started this process, my BMI was about 52; I've lost a little weight, so it's now around 49. I selected RNY because of the amount of weight I can expect to lose (given I work at it), because that's all my insurance would cover (other than lapband, which I don't want), and because there is so much long term data available on it's relative safety and success rates. My other "issue" that factors into this equation is that I have arthritis, which is getting worse, and will most likely continue to get worse over time.

At this stage of my life, my main goal is to have a better quality of life, and hopefully, to add a few years to my life, rather than dying early because of heart disease or cancer. What I wonder, though, is whether or not down the road, I will come to really regret the fact I can't take NSAIDS for the arthritis, and/or I trade the risks of heart disease/cancer for RNY complications that could possibly occur.

Don't know if this is making any sense at all, but if it does, what do ya'll think? I'm inclined to "go head on", but would just like a little reassurance, I guess, that I'm not being foolish in my decision.

BTW, I don't think my insurance will cover anything except lapband & RNY, and I sure can't afford to foot the bill for anything else on my own. (Don't really want to hear from DS folks, as it's irrelevant in my situation. No offense intended, guys!) Not totally sure whether they would cover VSG, as I have a Medicare Advantage Plan, and even though Medicare has recently changed it's stance on VSG, not sure my plan can go ahead with coverage.

I guess that's about it. Any thoughts, anyone?

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

Jennifer P.
on 8/29/12 10:22 am - MN
RNY on 07/31/12
 The feelings you are having are completely normal - no matter what age you are.  My thought is this:  the only regret you will have from surgery is that you didn't have it sooner, and if that's your only regret, you are GOLDEN.  You are not at all foolish in your decision.  You are 60 and having this surgery may help you live even longer because your health will turnaround for the good!!!  

Keep your chin up.  You will be awesome.  Good luck!

emmykins132000
on 8/29/12 10:30 am
I can understand your worries about not being able to take NSAIDS for your arthritis. Have you ever taken Tramadol? I is very often prescribed for arthritis, you may want to talk to your doctor about it since it is safe for us RNY'ers. It is an opiod medication but has very few side effects. I have degenerative disc disease and arthritis in my back and it has helped me in the past. Good luck to you and don't worry about having second thoughts, you are making a life changing decision, of course you will feel that way!

Turtle Lynn
on 8/29/12 10:33 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

It's normal to have second thoughts or "what if" yourself, just try not to give into that line of thinking! 

I am a Band to RNY revision, 13 weeks postop who started out with a list of comorbidities as long as your arm before I had RNY.  It is the BEST thing I ever did for myself and my only regret is not having RNY first and skipping the Band altogether.  

I have a blog on my profile and pictures outlining my experience to date (well, almost to date, got great news at my Endocrinology appt yesterday and haven't updated it about that yet ). . . .but anyway, you are free to check it out if you are interested.  It may help answer some questions from someone who just went through with the surgery.  

Also, looking towards the future, if you get some of the excess weight off, you may not have the need for NSAIDS in the future as your health/pain issues will most likely significantly improve.  

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/12 12:10 pm

Beth, I am 59 and just had surgery in May of this year.  I have arthritis in my hips, lower back and have a condition called Polymyalgia Rhuematica so I am in pain 24/7.  The damage is done in my hips from bearing the weight and so I take pain meds for that.  I am grateful for that and I don't walk around like a zombie because I am acclimated to the meds.  Yes, no more NSAIDs but make sure you PCP can give you something to help. 
Beth, you and I and others with arthritis may not run marathons but the trade off to get the weight off is worth it. I will have to have hip replacements when the weight is off because that is the only thing that will help.  I cannot exercise at all except to get into my pool which is wonderful but once winter comes no more pool therapy.  I have lost 63 pounds since May so I am totally thrilled with that.  I do chair exercises with hand weights for strength training.  Take care and you won't regret this.  I am off diabetic meds, all my labs came back normal, vitamins are doing their job so I have nothing but positive to say.  This is a tough road but once you get it done and past the first part of surgery you will start realizing in spite of no NSAIDs it was worth it.  Best of Luck,  Jane
Ninanet
on 8/29/12 12:22 pm
   I had RNY  at 60 for pain relief .  I had ~ 8/10 level back , knee , just plain all over pain . Life was not worth living like that ....  It has worked well for me .  Still have a few days - like rainy days - when something aches - but never like it was !!  Now I take maybe 1/2 a vicodin twice a month . Off everything else .

FYI ,  I had a pre op " What am I doing ??? " and a post op "   O ! M ! G !  WHAT HAVE I DONE !!! ...   lol , think most of us do .
longhornrose
on 8/29/12 12:26 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
Thanks everyone, for your input.  The encouragement really helps.  Since I posted this, I've been trying to stay busy, and I'm finding that goes a long way to calm my anxiety!

Judy, thank you for chiming in!  Yours was just the kind of reassurance I was looking for.  I seem to have a fairly high tolerance for pain (we'll see how that holds up after surgery ), and I've been getting by okay the last couple of months without ibuprofen.  Been trying to cut back, just to see what life is like without it.  So far, so good, but can't predict the future, of course.  Really appreciate that you shared your experience!

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/12 1:41 pm

I am so glad I could be of some help.  I was on Ibuprofen for over 20 years.  So I admire you for trying to cut back.  Contact me anytime.  Not that we can't relate to the younger ones, but it helps to have those of us that have been around for awhile to understand certain things!  I like to think we are wise and refined!  I will be here and others too when you have your surgery, so just keep posting.  I never had surgery before so I had my gallbladder out at the same time.  We will get you through every step of the way.  Again, you can always private message me to talk.  Best wishes, Jane

Jenni_9yrspostop
on 8/29/12 3:11 pm
Congrats on your decision. Don't second guess yourself. This is the best thing you'll ever do. Not all post ops are forbidden to take Nsaids. My doc has been doing this surgery for 35 yrs and he allows them with certain stipulations. The only reason you couldn't take them AT ALL is if you've had or had an ulcer. With the new liquigel forms of Advil and others many bariatric docs have changed their stance about taking nsaids. With food, on a full stomach and not for long periods of time work for most of us. I have taken them for almost 10 yrs post op now without a problem. My doc is 100% behind me taking them as needed. Some post ops have chronic pain/inflammation issues that Tylenol won't take care of. Others have liver issues that make taking Tylenol a no no. Elevated liver enzymes post op are the norm, but for those that have them pre op Tylenol and other products like it are warned about post op also. I take Advil and have used it for a long time, I do strenuous sports and muscle aches, broken fingers or toes or inflammation occur and I need something to take care of it. I had surgery almost 11 yrs ago at age 44 and now I'm experiencing arthritis. Advil still works for me for the pain and stiffness, and if taken with food, and for short periods of time as needed it doesn't hurt me. Check with your doc and other post ops but for most  of us Nsaids are just one other post op option we're given. We have to decide for ourselves what works for us, if it's medically a sound decision and if it will work for us. Better quality of life is what this surgery is all about. I'd do my open RNY again every single year if I had to in order to keep feeling this good. I've had friends get RNY in their 50's and 60's and I haven't met one yet that regretted it. Hang in there and be ready for the ride of your life. It is SOOOO worth it!
Jen 10+ yrs post op RNY
longhornrose
on 8/29/12 6:33 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
Jen, thank you sooooo much for your words of wisdom!  Hearing the experiences of someone so far out helps me realize there can be a happy ending for me, after all.

I'm getting more and more excited about this new road I'll be traveling.  Hopefully, after two weeks on the pre-op diet I'm starting tomorrow, I'll still feel the same way, LOL! 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 68 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??