Question About Anxiety And Depression

DannyBoyDVG
on 8/8/12 12:01 pm - AR
So I am at my 6 moth mark and 155lbs down so I have lost fairly fast. My mom works with a bunch of people that have had the RNY and the ones who lost like that said they had lots of anxiety and depression around the 6 month mark. So What im wanting to know is have any of you had these issues? The depression is just making me not myself and not able to sleep much (bad but not horrible), the anxiety though is really getting to me mentally. It feels like my body is going into an attack every time I eat there for im not getting anyware near as much food/protein as im suppose to and I know thats BAD. I talked to my surgen about the issues and all they said is " Oh thats not caused by the surgey you need to talk to your family doctor". So i did and he cant seem to find out whats wrong. So my thoughts if this is NOT a common thing is maybe seeing a shrink for awhile. If this IS a normal thing PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD tell me some tips and tricks you used to get though this and how long will it last, because its really waring me down fast.

MyLady Heidi
on 8/8/12 12:28 pm
I have been on these boards since 2004 and I have never read this before about a certain time frame of anxiety and depression.  I do suffer from anxiety attacks, have for years prior to my surgery so I can speak to that part, get to a doctor that can prescribe the right combination of medication to get it under control.  I tried anti-depressants but they didn't help and the side effects I could not live with.  I did however find that Xanax in a very low dose works and I have it with me 24/7 and take it as needed.  I have had some big attacks where I couldn't have lived without the Xanax, sometimes just knowing I have it helps and sometimes I really need to take it a few days to get back to even.  Anxiety disorders can be very debilitating if left untreated, it is something there is help for, and once you find the meds that work the world will become a much better place for you.  This has been going on with me since 1998, it was told to me that once a anxiety disorder begins it never turns back off, you just need to find the way to keep control.

Good Luck.
ready2be140
on 8/8/12 12:46 pm - WA
RNY on 08/29/12
 Dear DannyBoy
I am sorry you are going through this.   My 20 year old daughter has anxiety disorder and I have watched her go through this and how much it affects her.  The good news is with counseling and meds hopefully you can get back on track.    But I hope your doctor can point you towards that-but perhaps it is just part of depression you might be going through.  I would try to see a counselor that specializes in these types of issues -i know they are out there-perhaps your surgery office can provide you a list-mine actually did in the pre surgery packet.   You have done so well on our WLS journey that I hope this will get worked out for you ASAP so that you can continue on your path and enjoy/celebrate your weight loss success.   I am cheering you on from the side lines.  :) 
Dave Chambers
on 8/8/12 1:15 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Depression and anxiety can be an issue for some post ops.  You're learning a whole new lifestyle. BUT, typically post ops notice issues before 6 months.  Food may have been their "go to" comfort item under stressful times. Extreme changes in food choices and portions can be challenging.  I'd highly recommend some counseling, and let a doc consider whether you'll benefit from medication.  We had a support group last night, and one gentlemen had his wife with him. He was in tears describing how he felt he's changed in his 18 months post op.  Not as happy, not jovial anymore, somewhat reclusive, beginning to "sneak" candybars into his diet, marriage issues, etc.  He felt he "didn't want to go there" in regards to taking meds.  I told him that counseling and meds would very likely help him feel MUCH BETTER.  He was very reluctant to use meds.  I hear many post ops at these groups speaking of how they benefited from counseling and meds for a variety of issues that bother them. Self image, alcohol cross addiction, are among the more common reasons for counseling, but depression is up there too, just not discussed as much.  Insomnia can happen for a variety of reasons (not just depression) and bothers a good portion of post ops.  Best tip I can offer is to see professional counseling.  The PCP won't likely be able to fix "your head".  Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/8/12 1:25 pm - OH
Since this is just now coming up, I would suggest seeing a psychiatrist for possible medication, especially since you are reporting both depression and anxiety.  Most people who go through depression after RNY do so during the first few months and then, often, it subsides as your body heals and adjusts. It is not common for people to suffer from intense anxiety after surgery, however.

I would also suggest that you seek out a counselor to see if you can get to the bottom of what is causing the anxiety and depression (most psychiatrists only do medication management, not actual therapy/counseling).  As a counselor, I can tell you that there are a number of things that can cause anxiety and depression as the weight comes off.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Darcy S.
on 8/9/12 2:05 am - Clinton, CT
Sending you prayers and everyone above sounds like great advice!

Decision made weight 265  SW 249 CW 153  9/4/12 next goal 145lbs  OMG                                

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 308 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 226 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 292 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 226 views