Anyone else work odd hours (like graveyard shifts)

Lacee C.
on 7/5/12 8:50 pm - UT
 Hi All! 
My surgery date is 6 days away and my biggest thing that keeps running through my mind is my work schedule- I work Saturday- Tuesday Graves and worried it will throw off my eating- does anyone else work graves? How do you go about with your eating while I work, do you eat? I do not get much sleep after work (maybe 4 hours) so my day schedule will not be too messed up- any advice would be great!! 

LJ1972
on 7/5/12 9:40 pm - FL
I work 10hr shifts until midnight, then go to my parent's house and help my bedridden mom before tending to my "hobby farm" animals. By the time I shower and unwind I average about 5hrs of sleep on good nights (unless I do something dumb like today got off work at 0030 and back for OT at 0500).

Basically I just set up to eat every 4hrs. Working overnight you probably already accept there are no rules that you must eat breakfast foods in the morning, etc. It isn't a big adjustment as a rule.
Strjen
on 7/5/12 10:30 pm - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12
I work 4 10 hour shifts from 9pm till 7am. I get up & eat 2-3 oz of protein, first break is at 11:15pm & I will eat 2-3oz of protein about 2:30am I will have a little snack (cheese stick or something small like that) then at my second break at 4:30am I will have 2-3oz of protein & at about 7:30-8ish I will have 2-3oz of protein then sleep. That's usually may day eating with water in between of course. I don't look at my meals as breakfast, lunch & dinner anymore. Its just protein, protein, protein.

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

Allen Y.
on 7/5/12 11:15 pm - Garland, TX
 I have worked the graveyard shift for years and years. WLS had no impact at all on when/how I ate pre or post wls. 

KatCooper
on 7/6/12 12:03 am - Collierville, TN
 I work 4p-4a.  Usually the only food available is absolute crap.  Some one may make a taco bell run and our cafeteria is open from 2-4 am, but it is usually high fat and how I ended up fat in the first place.  So I always pack food.  I eat about every 3 hours.  I dont have time to really sit and eat so it is usually fast easy to eat.  I often pick up 2 small wendy's chili if I dont have time to pack extra protien.  Lunch usually includes greek yogurt, some kind of fruit, ususally blueberrys or blackberrys,  protien bar,  soy nuts (got to have something that cruches), and PB2 so I can mix it up and put it on graham crackers if I want something sweet and dessertish.   

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

poet_kelly
on 7/6/12 3:39 am - OH
I don't really see how what shift you work would make a difference.  I sleep weird hours and I just eat about every three hours, regardless of what time it is.  There is no way I could go through a whole night at work without eating anything.  Don't you get breaks at work?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lacee C.
on 7/6/12 2:32 pm - UT
 thanks for all of your replies- 

the reason why I asked is because I do not want to be eating every 4 hours when I am up for 36 hours strait and get too many calories or anything like that so i wasnt sure if I just eat every 4 hours and that is that or if I dont do that during my shift- 

yes I can take as many breaks as I want it is a nigh****ch job so I just sit here and walk around- nothing hard- 

just didnt know how I would go about the eating was all 

LJ1972
on 7/6/12 10:53 pm - FL

I still eat every 4hrs , no matter the duration.  Example from yesterday - I woke up 0900 on Thursday morning, had a 1.5hr nap 0230-0400 Friday morning and went to bed at 2300 last night. I ate every 4hrs and still had my goal of 1500 calories.  I just adjust what I eat, not when  - of course I also tend to get shaky at 5hrs without eating, so your mileage may vary.

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 303 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 290 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?