Dietitian or Nutritionist?

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 6/26/12 9:44 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
Just a point of fact; I'm not telling you what to say! 

I see that most folks here call the person who advises them about food a nutritionist--or a Nut for short. Maybe the person in your bariatric practice is in fact a nutritionist, but in mine and maybe in yours too that person is a dietitian, or RD. 

Anyone can hang out a shingle or put an ad in the local weekly and call themselves a nutritionist. No training or education required. Some may be wonderful, some may be harmful.

In all the states I looked at, and in Canada, a dietitian has at least a bachelor's degree with special education in nutrition and related subjects. Dietitians are registered with the state or province. They are professionals. 

If I were a dietitian I would want to be called a dietitian, since I would have invested in my education and training, just as a registered nurse wants to be recognized as an RN and not called a helper or aide.

So if it's easier to say "my NUT", go on ahead. I'll assume, and hope, you really mean you have the benefit of consulting with a registered professional dietitian. I just wanted to point out this difference.

(Sure, there can be nutritionists who are educated and experienced in bariatrics. Some nutritionists have PhDs in related fields. Again, I'm just saying there's a difference. One job is regulated, one is not.)
artroxy blue
on 6/26/12 9:55 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Sometimes I refer to my dietician as my NUT, but I know she has a slew of letters after her RD designation. 
Larry Wassmann
on 6/26/12 11:06 am, edited 6/26/12 11:26 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
 Mine is an RN and a RD. She is great and everyone around here wants to use her services. That is the problem, sometimes you have to wait too long to see her but she really knows her stuff. There is an internet network of RD and they exchange info all the time. I am glad I have her as my NUT as we call her but she is a dietiitian. 

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

SarahLee1969
on 6/26/12 11:28 am - NY
In the states RD is a national credential. It is a minimum of bachelors degree with internship or extra supervised training to be elegible to sit for the exam.Once the exam is passed there are continuing educational requirements. Each state has it's own requirements for credentialling... some used the RD credential, some-like NY-has their own credential. In NY there is a CDN credential available, which has it's own criteria to be elegible for and separate fees to pay.Many dietitian jobs in NY only require the RD credential, but a few may require the CDN.
It is confusing for many people. Some people are very concerned with titles.And I appreciate that they worked hard for the credential/title. As an RD,CDN, and LMT I don't really get caught up in a title... for my pt's I tell them I am there to help them and I prefer to be called Sarah...
poet_kelly
on 6/26/12 12:05 pm - OH
I have posted very similar things myself in the past.  I also think most dietician's would want to be referred to as a dieitician, just like a doctor doesn't want to be referred to as a health care worker, just like a nurse doesn't want to be called an aide, etc.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

wendydettmer
on 6/26/12 12:11 pm, edited 6/26/12 12:11 pm - Rochester, NY
NYS office of the professions calls them certified dietiatian or certified nutritionist.  while it's true that anyone can provide nutritional counseling, you cannot call yourself a nutritionist without the credentials. maybe that's why i've never noticed the difference.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 329 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 365 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?