Vitamins Question

brenlee1965
on 6/18/12 10:52 pm - New Berlin, NY
I lost my paperwork from my Nut that told me the three things that I will need (vitaminwise)...I think it was calcium something, iron something and B vitamin something. Should I call her to get that info or is this the same for everyone? I was thinking that I should probably get these before surgery. And I think I understood that Centrum Silver is the best Multi-vitamin to use (if not getting that Bariactric brand). What are your thoughts?
 Bren                
Dave Chambers
on 6/18/12 11:42 pm - Mira Loma, CA
You need more than 3 things, vitamin wise. You need a minimum of twice the RDA levels of all vitamins. Use a sublingual B12 for best absorption.  Most patients suffer from low vitamin D. It's likely best to start out with higher dosage 50K IU dry D3--I get mine from vitalady.com . Begin by taking 3-4 of these D3 per week, some every other day.  You need calcium citrate, in dosages of 600-650mg, no higher at one time.  Vitalady has a good capsule form of this calcium, as the traditional calcium citrate pills are large and difficult to swallow. Capsules go down much easier.  I tried the centrum silver chewable and they were very hard to chew.  Liquid vitamins may be easier initially for you. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Adrianne_Dawn
on 6/19/12 12:11 am - WA
RNY on 05/21/12
 I'd call your nutritionist and verify the information as every doctor is different and your blood work will also determine if you need certain things.  For example I live in WA State and so we get very little sun so I'm low on Vitamin D which I now take extra of.  

My vitamins are as follows 

Calcium Citrate (500 mg 2x daily)
B12 (500 mg 2x daily)
B50 with 50g Thiamine (Side note don't do liquid it's not so great lol) 
Vitamin D (not sure of dosage I take 1 gummie 2x a day)
Multi-Vitamin (My doctor told me Flintstones - there is controversy on if this is a good choice or not but I figure since he's the surgeon I'm going with him - I'll eventually switch to a non-chewable once these are gone)
Iron 

I also take Fiber and Biotin.

I'd confirm your amount and what you need though per nutritionist/doctor. 

poet_kelly
on 6/19/12 12:53 am - OH
Just wanted to make sure you were aware that the ASMBS says we need 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate daily.

And that the reason Flintstones aren't adequate for our needs is because they are missing selenium, have almost no biotin, have too little vitamin A and it's a type we don't absorb well.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 6/19/12 12:51 am - OH
There are four things the ASMBS says all RNY patients need.  A multi with 100% of the RDA of most things in it (like Centrum Silver), calcium citrate, iron and B12.  Make sure you get calcium citrate, not carbonate or phosphate.  For iron, I like carbonyl iron because it's all elemental iron, absorbed well in a low-acid environment (like our pouch after RNY), and usually does not cause constipation.  For B12, you need a sublingual that dissolves under your tongue or else the prescription nasal spray or shots.

The ASMBS says a B complex is optional.

Many people choose to take vitamin C with their iron because it increases absorption.  You need 200 mg C for every 30 mg iron.

Most people also need D3.  You would need to get your vitamin D level tested to see how much you need.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hedrider
on 6/19/12 12:52 am - Midlothian, TX
 Call them and ask them.  They can email it to you.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

ChelleyLou
on 6/19/12 2:59 am - MD
RNY on 04/12/12
 Centrum makes a good chewable 1-a-day that I got at walmart.  I take it 2x a day.  I also have a chewable Calcium Citrate that I got online at Unjury.com.  I'm still having a hard time taking really small pills like my vitamin d.  Can anyone recommend a liquid or a chewable for that?
brenlee1965
on 6/19/12 3:28 am - New Berlin, NY
I already take Iron and Vitamin D and a Multi-vitamin at this time; My blood work was good (this was the initial blood work)...I am vitamin D deficient (my understanding is that most overweight people are).

Bren                
brenlee1965
on 6/19/12 9:37 am - New Berlin, NY
Found my paperwork & it said this:
B12 sublingual, 1200 calcium citrate, 30 mg Iron plus Vitamin C and Chewable Multi-vitamin.

So glad I finally found this paperwork; gonna put this in my 3 ring binder, so I don't misplace it again!

Bren

Bren                
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 70 views
Recent Topics