Camping

Indycoltskayla
on 6/4/12 7:34 am - IN
RNY with
 Ok guys! I'm getting ready to go camping with my hubby for our six year wedding anniversary. I will be 4 months post op on the 20th. I am currently eating eggs, turkey sausage, chicken deli meat, 96% lean burger, ground chicken etc... My question is what are some foods/meals that I could pack. I'll be camping for 4 nights. It's going to be really hard not eating the usual hot dogs and s'mores because they are so convenient and traditional. I'm just worried about being away from home with limited storage for food. We will have coolers just wondering if anyone else has been camping after RNY and what you ate. Thanks!
LJ1972
on 6/4/12 7:49 am - FL
I love going camping!!
Do you have electric hookup?
If so just grab a George Foreman grill and take some chicken,etc

If not - shrimp, boiled eggs, deli meat / cheese, turkey pepperoni, sweet peppers, carrots, cucumbers, protein bars, protein shakes, greek yogurt (SF jello mix, Sf preserves, etc to mix into it)

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

kim W.
on 6/4/12 7:58 am - west des moines, IA
I just went camping this last Memorial Weekend and I was out 3 months from surgery.
I packed boiled eggs, string cheese, and beef jerky for snacks. For dinners I premade chicken, pork chunks and maranaded them with some veggies and made kabobs. It worked out great. Then for breakfast we made a egg bake with eggs cheese sausage and bacon all mixed together and cooked over the fire. Everyone loved it and no one had to know it was good for them.
The sad thing is that I had  a whole cooler just for my stuff. Snacks, water, meals. Lol
Enjoy yourself and bring lots of water

Start-Revision RNY 02/17/2012- 402#, 2 months- down 55 #, 3 months-339

Price S.
on 6/4/12 8:17 am - Mills River, NC
I camp a good bit with my ponies.  My trailer is set up with a microwave, frig and gas eyes so it isn't much like camping.  I even have a coffee pot.  However, you have gotten some great ideas.  Protein bars, cheese sticks, deli meat, hard boiled eggs, burgers, chili are all ideas.  I make a crustless quiche and that is breakfast for several days.  I also take pks of instant grits and add a cheese stick to it.  Take your protein powder and a shaker bottle.  You will do fine and have a great time.  Remember to cook things like Chili ahead and freeze it.  then it helps act as your ice to keep things cold while it is thawing.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Cherokeesage
on 6/4/12 12:47 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
We love the foil dinners that are cooked in the campfire.  The one most people know is the ground turkey, chicken or beef patty, carrot, onion and potato sealed in foil.  You can use your favorite seasonings.  We just salt and pepper it.   A variety of squash with onion is also delicious prepared this way.  Chili and beans are easy over a campfire if you plan to keep the fire burning.  Otherwise, make it at home, freeze and heat it over the campfire.  We cook turkey bacon, sausage, chicken, steak, fish on a grill over the fire.   We are going  3 wks with the grandkids the end of June.  We have a cabin with an iron cookstove inside but like to do as much as we can over the campfire.  We do have a fridge, microwave and such so it isn't the same as tent and cooler but we have done that too.  We have a 12 hour drive to get to our destination so we freeze the meat solid.  That with the ice packs keeps everything from spoiling.  I'm going to make a few meals at home and freeze so all we have to do is heat.  (Homemade sloppy joes, chili, and king ranch chicken.)  This way when we hike all day it is an easy evening meal.  I roll lettuce around meat instead of putting it between buns. Fresh fruit is usually our dessert.  We take strawberries, cherries, bluberries, grapes, apples, oranges, peaches, watermelon, etc.  We fancy them up with pudding or yogurt for some of the meals.  A cucumber cut in 1/2 " pieces can be hallowed out and filled with chicken or tuna salad for a fresh crunchy bite.  Apple slices with peanut butter  for snack. 
HAVE FUN and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Strjen
on 6/5/12 1:36 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12
Ok, so when are we going? I wanna go camping with you. Lol My husband & I have been talking about taking our kids camping for about a month now. I love camping & haven't been since I was a teenager.  Its something I would really like my kids to experience & have them know there is more than TV, DSI's, Wii's & Computer's out there that is fun to do.

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

swampwoman
on 6/5/12 3:54 am - Hampton, NJ
Have you tried the Hebrew National fat free hot dogs?  They are all beef and only 40 calories each.  The only bad thing in the stats is the sodium content.  I enjoy them when the family is having hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill.  No sugar.
  Today is the first day of the rest of my life!!                          
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 309 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views