Can you get gas in the remnant stomach?

Koko M.
on 4/29/12 8:02 am - Albany, CA
 I have to wonder if this is the cause of my occasional bouts of severe abdominal pain. It's hard to say, and the one time I went to the ER over it, they ran all kinds of testing and found nothing. But here I am again, burping and in really bad pain, but Gas-X is not really helping. I ate three - count'em, three- apples yesterday, because they were Pink Ladies and soooo good and hey, fiber, right?
But by last night I felt bloated and here I am. The pain is dead center, and about a hand's width above my belly button, and pretty intense.
When I think about the new layout of my internal organs, it seems very possible. If the gas forms in the gut, below the Y, what's to keep it from rising into the remnant? And how would it escape from there? It's kind of a dead end, heading upward, so you can't burp it out. Is that part of the tract still active enough to pass gas along the, um, other way?

Anyone heard anything about this?

Koko   

HW-291 :: 1st WLS consult-281 :: Surgery-263 ::  GW-154 :: CW-151 :: In my dreams - 138

Sonogrrl
on 4/29/12 8:22 am
RNY on 05/22/12
Don't know about the gas question...but I've read that WLS patients can have trouble digesting apple skins.
RNY 5/22/12      27.5.bs lost pre-op      
Jessica A.
on 4/29/12 10:31 am - Auburn, AL
 Yes it is possible.  Just a few months after my RNY, I had some pretty bad bloating and pain and they did a CT and found an enormous amount of air trapped in my remnant stomach.  My doctor prescribed Reglan to get my tummy moving to help try to pass the gas back in the right direction.  If that didn't work he was going to have to go in there and manually release by inserting a tube.  It took a week or two but the Reglan did it's job.  
Koko M.
on 4/29/12 1:49 pm - Albany, CA
 Thanks. I'm gonna look and see what exactly Reglan is on Google. But I guess I'm a bt less sure now than when I posted. See, they actually did do a CT scan when I was in the ER, and said they saw nothing which might explain the pain. I suppose if it had been gas they would have seen it,  then. I hate not knowing why this happens. It's almost gone now, as usual. Usualy lasts somewhere between eight hours and a couple of days, with lingering tenderness afterward.

I guess I'll go with the obvious for now, and take the advice on staying away from apple skins. Who knows. I do eat apples fairly often, maybe some just have tougher skins than others, and I've simply paid the price for being piggy with them yesterday. Occam's Razor, right?

Koko   

HW-291 :: 1st WLS consult-281 :: Surgery-263 ::  GW-154 :: CW-151 :: In my dreams - 138

cabin111
on 4/29/12 2:45 pm
Have not heard, but the remnant can give you problems.  I will say this.  WARNING!!  WARNING!!  DO NOT LISTEN TO THE CRAZY GUY!!  Over the years when I would pull or strain a muscle I would take 1 Ibuprofen...Just one per day.  It would help with the inflamation...Yeah, I know...No NSAIDS.  One thing I can tell you is when I take it I can feel my old stomach.  That is the only time over the years I can feel it...It's irritates the lining I think.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 299 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 344 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 301 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views
Recent Topics