Bowel obstruction?

iowa_missie74
on 4/16/12 7:27 am - IA
So, a couple of weeks ago I had an xray. Dr thought maybe something had abcessed. It didn't but I did get a call a couple of days ago that there were some dialated loops in my small intestine, indicating a bowel obstruction? For the last 10 or so days I have been taking mirilax daily and eating a yogurt daily as instructed by my dr. Now I have an appt tomorrow to see if anything is better. The pain isn't as bad but the nausea is so bad I have to take Zofran a couple of times a day....I don't know why I posted this, no one here can diagnose anything or tell me for certain if I have a bowel obstruction, but maybe someone has been thru something similar? If so, please give me your input, it will all be appreciated, thanks!

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/16/12 7:30 am
sorry you going through that.  Hope you feel better soon.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

iowa_missie74
on 4/16/12 8:15 am - IA
Thank you. Me too :) I had my appendix out a month ago had to stay off work for 2 weeks. I really don't want to and can't afford to miss more work.

MichelleNC
on 4/16/12 7:34 am
 What is he treatment for that? I am sorry your in pain and feeling like poo but I hope your feeling better soon!

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

iowa_missie74
on 4/16/12 7:39 am - IA
The first treatment is to try to get things moving. I guess the obstruction is actually air, not stool? Nothing is passing like it should. Then I read something about an NG tube being used to help get the air out...then surgery is a last resort. I have no idea really what course my dr will take. I have an appt tomorrow. Haven't had a bm since Thursday, which I think I should have since I'm taking Mirilax daily as well as laxitive pills...2 a day. I'm not uncomfortable like back pain or anything like when somone is constipated, but there is pain and a lot of nausea.

rbb825
on 4/16/12 7:11 pm - Suffern, NY
Now BM since Thursday and they said last week they suspect a  bowel obstruction - I wish you wouldnt have waited so long.  Obstructions arent air - they are stool

I was very normal and then all of a sudden things stopped. I remembered my surgeon telling us that if we went 3 - 4 days with no BM to get MOM, so I got that and nothing, then the next step was dulcolax suppositories and nothing.  Then an enema and nothing.  I dont remember but my friends tell me I was in pain. I finally got to my GI doctor on Monday morning - I was like you didnt' think it was serious - hadn't gone since Tuesday - he sent me for an emergency CT - got a call within the hour - had severe bowel obstruction, internal hernia, something called  a volvulous which I am not sure what it is and free fluid in my abdomen.  I had to get to my surgeon in NYC an hour away for emergency surgery.

When laxitives dont work especially 2 times per day for 5 days -that means there is something wrong.

vervetoloose
on 4/16/12 8:15 am
well this is my 2 cents worth..... I wouldn't take the Miralax.... if things are moving slowly or obstructed in any sort of way, a bulking agent won't help. Lots of fluids and a dose of MOM like 4 TBS or what ever the maximum dose listed is.

" Oh you who love clear edges more than anything...........watch the edges that blurr."

Jessica A.
on 4/16/12 9:43 am - Auburn, AL
 I had a bowel obstruction on Feb 29th.  I had intense unbearable stabbing pain.  I could barely even talk when I called the hospital, it hurt so bad.  The pain started at 10 am and I was having emergency surgery by 5pm that night.  My redundant ends of my intestines where they sewed together after my RNY had grown scar tissue in the shape of a loop and my intestines pushed through it and were getting cinched.  I was told I was lucky I came in when I did, that I was hours away from dead bowel and becoming extremely sick.  Your bowels are nothing to mess around with.  I hope they get you figured out.  Good luck!
dori M.
on 4/16/12 10:31 am - MD
 What test did they use to diagnose the obstruction?

Jessica A.
on 4/16/12 10:38 am - Auburn, AL
 CT scan with barium and i.v. contrast.  They couldn't completely tell what was wrong just based off of the scan and decided that they better take a look inside.  Turns out the reason they had a hard time seeing what was wrong on my CT was because my intestines were all swelled up so it was good that they decided to take a look inside!
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 307 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 225 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 291 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 225 views