Carafate? Prilosec? For how long....???

Cheryl C.
on 3/23/12 3:11 am - NY
RNY on 02/29/12 with
I'm about 4 weeks out.  How long will I have to take this GROSS, chalky, 4 times-a-day nightmare?   My insurance doesn't cover it, and it's kind of expensive!

And what about the Prilosec?  (Actually, my dr prescribed Nexium, but my insurance doesn't cover that, either!)  This one's not so bad.  A capsule, once a day.  Not a big deal.

Just curious.....

Thanks!

Cher    

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/23/12 3:58 am
Ask the doc.
As for the prolisec - I take generic prolisec - Omeprozole. 42 pills (not capsules) app 15-18 in Costco.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

rbb825
on 3/23/12 3:59 am - Suffern, NY
first off I need to ask, do you have an ulcer already at 4 weeks out?  Otherwise you shouldn't be taking carafate 4 times per day as a post op medication.  That is for people who have ulcers.  I pretty suprised your insurance wouldn't pay for carafate since it is an ulcer drug but if you really do have an ulcer your doctor should be able to appeal and try to get it covered - they usually try to deny you for expensive drugs in hopes that you will go away but if the doctors give a good reason why you need it and an ulcer is a good reason they will approve it but if you dont have an ulcer, they won't approve it.

If it is just because you are post op and he wants to protect your pouch, you just need a PPI.  If they wouldnt cover Nexium - my insurance wouldnt' either - they all have there formularies - have your doctor try to prescribe Protonix - it is actually stonger and works better - it is a  caplet.  Easy to swallow.  The PPI's you should take for atleast 6 months, if not a year depending on your history - if you have any ulcers, reflux, etc.  I will take for life as a precaution.

Also, so you know - carafate comes as a liquid or as pills.  You dont have to swallow the chalky stuff - the pills work just as well.

darlinjasa
on 3/23/12 4:09 am - FL
I'm on carafate. Had stricture since 2wkbpostop...4wks scope then put o. Carafate 4x day for 21 days. The other prilosec on for 3mos postop.

Cheryl C.
on 3/23/12 4:12 am - NY
RNY on 02/29/12 with
Thank you all so much.....I have never had ulcers or any other sort of problem.  Maybe it's a preventive....who knows.  I guess I'll just have to ask him when I go back in two weeks.

As far as the Prilosec, I also take the "store" brand....I stocked up when the store had a $10 off coupon in our local newspaper!  SCORE!!!!

It's comforting to know that hopefully, it won't be for much longer!!!

Thank you again!

Cher    

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 318 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 236 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 299 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 71 views
Recent Topics