Low blood sugar

iowa_missie74
on 2/11/12 5:23 am - IA
I was diabetic before my surgery, as I'm sure plenty of you were also. Was on insulin 3 times daily, no oral meds. Anyway, now my problem is my sugar dropping. I had been blaming my shaking and aggitation on a new med I was taking, as those were common side effects. I was taking Xanax like it was candy to stop the shaking. It finally hit me a couple of days ago to check my sugar. Since I've been checking it now when I get the symptoms it's been anywhere from 59-80...before surgery I would feel the shaking when I'd get close to 100. Anyway, I know orange juice is something to drink when sugars drop but I'm wondering what other things some of you have tried. Today is was 69 so I had 4 ritz crackers and peanut butter. 20 minutes after the snack I was back up to 93.  

poet_kelly
on 2/11/12 5:28 am - OH
I use a combo of carbs and protein when my sugar drops.  Something that's straight sugar like OJ can get it up fast but then it usually just crashes again, plus it may cause dumping.

I find if I eat something with protein every three hours or so, I can usually avoid the crashes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jenni_9yrspostop
on 2/11/12 5:33 am
As post ops we're not to take glucose tablets as they bump up the blood sugar but we crash harder later. My surgeon suggests protein if you're not too far down yet-cheese sticks or jerky, or peanut butter crackers when your numbers are very low. the protein in the peanut butter is longer lasting-sustaining and the carbs in the crackers jumps the blood sugar up to a normal level. Then the protein kicks in and maintains you longer without the drop that sugar based juices or tablets can do.
Check with your doc - many have tips for reactive hypoglycemia or low blood sugar problems
in post op rny patients.
Jen 10 yrs post op
(deactivated member)
on 2/11/12 6:35 am - waukesha, WI
I have used glucose tablets....only 4grams of sugar per tablet, so I can slowly raise my bs rather than juice (to much sugar.)  I than use a protein drink.  Although, I have cut my insulin over the 4 months,  I now can toilerate lower bs between 70 and 80.  My body has gotten use to lower bs.  My A!C before surgery was 12 and I was on 100 units of lantus twice a day and 100 of novolog 4 x a day.  I now take 25 units of lantus at night period.   My personal thoughts...........juice is the worst thing a diabetic or anybody can put into them.  It has very little nutrition value for calories and doesn't fill you up.  I rather save the 100 calories to eat.  BUT WHEN YOUR BS ARE LOW YOU GOT TO DO WHAT YOU GOT TO DO ......SO IF YOU HAVE TO DRINK JUICE TO ADDRESS A URGENT MEDICAL CONCERN THAN DO IT.  I ALWAYS KEEP JUICE ON HAND JUST IN CASE, IT IS BETTER THAN STRAIGHT SUGAR.  (I either don't dump or have not eating anything that cases me to dump.)

Good luck in finding something that works for you. 

iowa_missie74
on 2/11/12 7:36 am - IA
So awesome that your blood sugar is being controlled better. I thought my A1C was bad at 10.1. It is now 5.6 which Im super proud of, I can't take all the credit tho :) Thanks and great job!
Sharyn S.
on 2/11/12 8:06 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
This condition is called reactive hypoglycemia.  Many of us have it.  You may be able to control it by eating 5-6 small, HIGH PROTEIN meals with a complex carb (veggies), and healthy fat.  Avoid the white stuff - flour, sugar, potatoes, and rice.

If you do find yourself with a low blood sugar, eat cheese sticks or peanut butter & crackers.

I have been as low as 35 and it is SCARY.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 306 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 225 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 291 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views