OT: Broken nose and endoscopy question

facethemusic
on 12/1/11 12:19 pm
Today my 2-year-old and I were playing in her bed when she flipped her head backwards and caught me right in the nose.  I heard a crunch and next thing I know both my nostrils are bleeding pretty bad.  I got the bleeding stopped in about 20 minutes, but figured since there was no obvious deformity I was fine.  It's been about 7 hours since then and my nose still hurts like hell!  I can breathe fine, but it hurts to take a breath in through my nose.  I blew my nose earlier and almost cried.  There is no bruising or anything that I can see.  Is it possible to sprain your nose?  Can you break your nose without it being crooked?  I'm going to say something to my PCP next week unless it gets worse before then, but thought maybe someone here could offer some insight.  

I saw a new GI today who seems like he wants to help find the cause of my left quadrant pain and vomiting anything thicker than mashed potatoes.  He wanted to do another EGD so I go in tomorrow morning.  He also said he wants me to considering have ERCP done to check for Sphincter of Oddi.  Well, last time I had an endoscopy they had to remove a bezoar which made the procedure take longer than expected.  I was fully aware of what was going on the last 6 minutes or so of the procedure.  I was gagging, crying and trying to pull the thing out my throat.  By time they gave me more Versed and it kicked in the procedure was over.  I remember my bariatric surgeon repeatedly telling the nurses not to give me more that he was almost done.  Yeah right!  I expressed my concerns to the GI today and he told me they use Propofol which according to him is a better sedative.  Does anyone have any experience having an EGD with Propofol?  I'm wondering what the effects are versus using Versed.  I've had 6 EGD's and other than this last one I've not had any issues.  I usually wake up fully alert and feeling like I can drive myself home.  I'm wondering if I will be as alert with the Propofol.  
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

immafatgirl
on 12/1/11 1:01 pm - KY
i had a broken nose when i was 22 . didnt know it was actually broken until 3 years ago when my septom grew so crooked. i cant breath thru it right . i was playing with my husband at the time and he was pretending to hit me and really got me good.. it hurt but i just blew it off after the pain went away . but since ive been having sinus trouble , i went to the doc and he said man your nose has been broken before. thats the only time i can remember so much pain i couldve blacked out .. i was 42 when i actually knew it was broke ..
bubbylucy
on 12/1/11 9:54 pm - Raleigh, NC
I have had 5 egd's with versed and I do not have a problem, but I have had propofol with a shoulder block and it is a much nicer sleep. I guess that is why Michael Jackson loved it ha ha. I feel like versed wares off quicker and you feel like the room is spinning before you actually drift off. Propofol does burn when it goes in the IV but it is a very peacefull sleep. I think you will like the procedure much better with propofol.
I wish you good luck

Audra

MeganGish
on 12/2/11 12:21 am - Ashland, KY
I agree. Propofol is a much better sedative. I had it when i had my endoscopy and didn't even know when they started the procedure. It works very quickly and you are dine before you know it.
hedrider
on 12/2/11 12:50 am - Midlothian, TX
Propofol is the bomb.  We use propofol and versed here.  I'm suprised they just used versed.  It's an amnesic, but not really a sedative...
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

facethemusic
on 12/2/11 1:37 am
The propofol was amazing other than the insane burning sensation when they put it in my IV.  He warned me it would burn despite the lidocaine because I have tiny veins.  I'm nowhere near as groggy as I was after the Versed.  My surgeon used Versed and Demerol or Fentantyl and up until that last EGD I never had an issue.  I think the issue was I had a bezoar that they had to remove and the procedure took longer than anticipated.  They gave me more Versed when I woke up but it took so long to kick in that I didn't fall asleep until I was in the recovery room.  Today was much different.  I woke up easily and actually remember speaking to the GI.

When i had my "reversal" they attached my pouch to the remnant stomach making my stomach kind of an hourglass shape.  The middle of the hourglass was way too narrow so he dilated it.  The GI feels like that is why I've had such a hard time with food.  The thing is I had an upper GI in the beginning of October and the radiologist made a remark about it being too narrow.  Well, my surgeon in his "infinite" wisdom said it was fine.  I actually ate lunch about an hour ago without insane pain afterward.  The GI also took some biopsies of my stomach and small intestines.  He is going to check for food allergies and H. Pylori.  Through all of this my surgeon has not once checked me for H. Pylori despite my requesting he do so.  I'm hoping I don't have it, but if I do at least it's an answer.  I don't have any ulcers.......yay!  Hopefully the dilation will help.  He did warn me that he didn't want to stretch it too much so he may have to go in and do it a few more times to get it to the desired diameter.  

I had him look at my nose too only because it hurt so bad when they put the nasal canula in for the oxygen.  He said it didn't appear broken, but it was definitely swollen and irritated.  The part where she hit it was below the actual bone.  He said there still may be some damage to the cartilage itself on the bottom part of my nose, but it wasn't anything that needed urgent treatment.  I felt silly asking him about it, but heck he is a doctor.
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

haparnumela
on 2/9/12 1:34 pm
Your article is very wonderful,looking forward your next post what you said is so perfect,and give me great help,i am agree with you ,thank you very much.

buttock enhancement

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 289 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 290 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 284 views