Is my brain ever going to catch up?

facethemusic
on 11/22/11 1:34 am
Since my RNY in April I've gone from 240 pounds to 145 pounds.  I'm now wearing a size 10 for the first time since maybe 5th grade.  It seems like my brain hasn't caught up with the weight loss yet though.  I look in the mirror and I still see me at 240 pounds.  I see my reflection and I'm still so uncomfortable with my body.  Will my brain ever catch up?  Will I ever look in the mirror and actually see a size 10 and not a size 22?  Is there anything I can do to help get over this mental block?  Sorry for all the questions it is just frustrating when people tell me how great I look or how "tiny" I am (I'm still not used to that word) and I just don't see it. Of course I thank them, but I want to believe them.
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/11 2:57 am, edited 11/22/11 2:57 am
I'm 18 months out and my brain still has not caught up.  Everyone tells me that it will eventually.  A couple of weeks ago, my knee gave out and i fell in the parking lot.  All these people came to help me and the first thing I thought was "Oh, they will never be able to help me up b/c I weigh 240 lbs. "  It took me a second to realize I weigh 150 now and yes, they could help me.  When I look in the mirror, I see a fat person, yet I look at the  size 10 jeans and start to put them in my DH's drawer rather than my drawer.  Just keep thanking them and you will get to the point of believing them.  It will take time.  Know you are not alone.
Tali S.
on 11/22/11 3:57 am - Jerusalem, Israel
What is DH? I see that a lot on the forum

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/11 1:00 am

It took me some time to figure that out, too.  I believe it is "dear husband" - at least that is how I interpret it.

ThinnerAngel
on 11/26/11 4:30 am - Rochester, NY
Dear Husband....;-)

ThinnerAngel
on 11/22/11 4:14 pm - Rochester, NY
OMG!! I have thought this many times!!! THANK YOU for this post. I'm down from 250 to 140 pounds. From size 26W to juniors 13.

I TOTALLY understand this post!! I walk past store windows and see "myself"....it just does not register in my brain....as it's Lori...

YES!!, your brain will catch up....after a year of pics and reflections I can now accept my image.

WTG!! on your weight loss!!

I get the "tiny" word too....Embrace your "tiny"....

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/11 1:02 am
There is some comfort knowing that you are not alone in this journey and others have the same things happening to them.  Someone used the word, tiny, about me last week and I thought that was just incredible.  A size 10 is not tiny in my book - it is average size!
ThinnerAngel
on 11/26/11 4:29 am - Rochester, NY
My sisters wear size 0-5....to me that's tiny"...you are correct in 10 or 13 average! Altho, I guess by American standards a size 14 is the "new" average.....

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 357 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 260 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 106 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?