For those of you wondering...

Dawn414
on 11/13/11 11:41 pm - Mount Laurel, NJ
 HI there...For those of you wondering whether or not the journey is worth it, I"m here to tell you...it absolutely is!

I am 4 1/2 years out.  My total weight loss has been around 130 pounds.

I decided to make this life decision because I realized there were going to be things I"d never be able to experience with my children (who were 3 at the time) and that really bothered me.  Although I was morbidly obese (my highest weight was 304...I was 287 when I had surgery)  I didn't have a lot of the health problems associated with being overweight.  But...there were things I had issues with (like fitting on a roller coaster).  

I actually haven't been on this site in a while, but the reason I decided to post this is simply because I am SO grateful to everyone who has been a part of my journey and thankful that this surgery is possible.  We went on a cruise this past August and did parasailing.  Something I wouldn't have been able to do WITH my son if I hadn't lost the weight.  On the vacation we just got back from, I crawled and climbed through those 'nets' and 'tubes' they have for kids at theme parks.  I can't even fathom trying to do that previously.  I went on a kid-friendly zip-line (where the max weight is 250)...and they were weighing ALL Adults.  No problem!  :)  And of course, I have absolutely NO ISSUES with roller coasters now.  I joyfully go on whatever the kids want to go on and don't do the mental prayer that I'm going to fit.

As you go through you may feel like it's horrible...you may wonder if you made the right decision...Lord knows the protein shakes aren't the best, and taking so many vitamins and whatnot is a pain...LOL...but at the end of the day...if you work the plan, exercise and do what you're supposed to be doing...you will realize benefits you never thought possible.

I wish all the best of luck in their journeys...thanks for reading!

Dawn

Dawn McG

consult/surgery/current

282/270/165--and totally happy!!!

Abdominoplasty (TT) scheduled for 3/3/10
Windim
on 11/13/11 11:56 pm - Fountain City, WI
Thank you for your inspiration! I am only 6 weeks post op today and down 40 lbs. I have almost exactly the same stats as you and sometimes ask myself why I did this. Especially when everyones munching chips and dip and I can only watch. Your story has really inspired me. Thank you so much

Dawn414
on 11/14/11 12:03 am - Mount Laurel, NJ
My pleasure!  Hang in there!!!!
Dawn McG

consult/surgery/current

kellyl1202
on 11/14/11 12:01 am
It's good to hear positive feedback from someone at your stage of WLS.  Thanks for the encouragement.  Glad you are doing so well & keep up the good work!

Thanks, Kelly
Kelly L  
5'ft 1in   RNY 9/12/11
301 HW / 287.7 SW / 216 CW / 150 GW

waitingtoexhale69
on 11/14/11 12:02 am - IL
Thanks for posting.  Sometimes its good to hear positve thoughts and reinforcements.  Sometimes i still ask myself the same questions, but not as often know.  Yes and i also long for next summer when i can also ride with my small children as well.  Take care keep the faith and posting.

Jenny_D
on 11/14/11 12:18 am - Canton, GA
Thank you for sharing your story! I love hearing stories like yours because they remind me so much of why I wanted surgery...to be able to experience life WITH my children. Mine are 4 and 2 and I am already reaping the rewards by being able to do so much more with them. RNY rocks!
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

Dawn414
on 11/14/11 12:42 am - Mount Laurel, NJ
 thanks for the responses...Makes me very happy to see people reaping the rewards...yeah, we have to make some food sacrifices...but at the end of the day...TOTALLY worth it!

Hugs to all!
D
Dawn McG

consult/surgery/current

DeterminedE
on 11/14/11 1:43 am
I am only 14 months post op but have lost over 230 lbs and am able to do the same things you mentioned.  I just parasailed for the first time with my 11 year old son last week.  Roller coasters are no longer an issue.  This is the best decision I have ever made as well.  Congrats on your continued success.  You are an inspiration to us all.
Dawn414
on 11/14/11 4:12 am - Mount Laurel, NJ
 Back at you...that is so awesome!!!!  Congrats on your success!!!
Dawn McG

consult/surgery/current

ShebasMom
on 11/14/11 3:43 am
Revision on 07/05/16
Thanks for the inspiring story. There have been many things I couldn't do because of my weight. I'm 54 and not getting any younger. I needed to start living again while there was still time. This inspiration gives me hope during my journey.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

Most Active
Recent Topics