OTC meds question please help

sherri7794
on 10/24/11 6:45 pm
I am over 8 months out.  I am wondering is it ok for us to have an occasional Tums/Rolaids or Mylanta?  I was taking a daily Prilosec (for ulcers) but my doc wanted me to quit taking it because he said it's bad for my bones.  I am wondering if these meds are ok.  My ulcers don't bother me daily but they do occasionally. 

Lileee
on 10/24/11 10:39 pm
per MY dr, its OK... but you really should check with YOUR Surgeon... all DR's are different *

Start Weight 275 - im 52yrs Old - 5'7"

had my RNY January 10th 2011

275/230!!!/150

Dave Chambers
on 10/24/11 10:54 pm - Mira Loma, CA
I'm not a doc, but never heard of Prilosec causing bone issues. I know my surgeon has a few patients on long term Prilosec. These patients have digestive discomfort whenever they are off of the Prilosec.  My surgeon also uses the Prilosec on a few select patients as part of the protocol for using Celebrex.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/25/11 12:55 am
I take prolisec (Omeprozole - generic - best price Costco) daily.  If i do not - I get ulcers. Then I have to take more meds ... and it hurts, and it sucks.
My doc and I agreed that the best way is for me to stay on the prolisec for now... maybe for good - forever...
The pain from ulcers, possible bleeding ulcers, or ever perforated ulcers (that may be life threatening) are not worth the risk.  
And sinc ei take Calcium citrate - and lots of vit D and magnesium - plus other essential minerals - my bones will be OK.
Only if you try to take Calcium carbonate - that needs stomach acid to be broken down and absorb - taking prolesec may affect that...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

sherri7794
on 10/28/11 2:49 am
Thank you all for the replies.  I called my surgeon and he said if I was having that kind of discomfort to start back on the prilosec.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 347 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 303 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics