Is this normal???

HeatherP1978
on 9/18/11 8:43 am
I had surgery on Weds, came home Friday. I've been trying hard to get my fluids and protein in but I just cannot shake this weak, dizzy feeling, almost to the point of passing out, everytime I get up to move around. Is this normal for some? If so, I desperately hope it goes away soon.
taylorwayzz
on 9/18/11 8:48 am - MI
 i am only 3 1/2 weeks out but i didnt really have that problem.  just be sure to get up slowly and i know its hard but u have to make sure to get your fluids in.  I still drink 2 protein shakes a day just to get in all the protein.  good luck to you and hope you feel better soon
ShannonC831
on 9/18/11 9:11 am - NY
Its probably bc youre dehyrated keep sipping all day. I ended up getting a fever bc of dehyration...also try SF ice pops and jello and ices
Eliza55
on 9/18/11 9:11 am - PA
Are you on any specific pain medication still?  Some of the really strong stuff makes me woozy, but I didn't use it past the first day.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Randajo Smith
on 9/18/11 9:26 am - Yorkville, IL
it could be from the anesthesia still.  it takes almost 30 days for that to get out of your system. just take your meds and eat and drink like you should be anmd you should start feeling better. 
RANDAJO SMITH    
LoraLeeME
on 9/18/11 9:29 am
It happened to me too the first week home. It's dehydratoin. Do your best to focus on getting your fluids in. I alternated between Isopure and plain water. I had a "shot" every 10 minutes or so just to make sure I got it all in. SF popsicles are great too.

If you are getting all your water in and you're still feeling dizzy, call your doctor. You may need IV fluids. Take care of you.

Angie H.
on 9/18/11 9:31 am - TN
I had surgery Mon, and because of the distance that I live from the hosp had to stay til Thur. My WORST day by far was Saturday (post-op day 5)

I didn't have dizziness. But I did have that really weak, unsteady feeling and I think it might have been my pain meds. Did you doctor say that you can take liquid tylenol instead of the narcotics that they prescribed? That might help... Then take the narcotic at night to be sure you sleep well.

How are you doing with your liquids? and protein? how much of each? I did ok with both until Sat and I got really sensitive to the smell of my protein and it made me gag. My doc told me to leave it off til Mon. I really felt bad on Sat, but today I feel close to REALLY GOOD....

I think I have turned a majore corner, and I bet it will be that way for you too. You will just wake up ... and wow... feel MUCH better!!

I will keep you in my prayers!!!

froggy2816
on 9/18/11 9:42 am - MD
went through the exact same thing, my surgery was thursday and home sat last week. it has gone away somewhat but not completely. Cant handle long periods of time on my feet without feeling nausa. I have the same questions. I have my first post op appt on thursday and hoping for answers. Fluids si the only thing i can say.
ktaborelli
on 9/18/11 9:49 am - Hampton, NJ
 I had surgery on Tues. and came home on Thurs. The first two days at home I was very dizzy and felt like I would throw everything up. Sat I was able to take in most of my liquids and felt so much better. I still need to take a nap a couple of times a day. but the dizziness has gone away.
HeatherP1978
on 9/18/11 1:37 pm
I am taking the very lowest dose,15mg, of liquid lortab just when I absolutely need it. I have got almost 64 oz of water in today and I feel a little better this evening...protein is very hard for me tho, the smell is almost unbearable...I shall be working on that one a little harder. I ordered some unflavored unjury powder so hopefully that will help me out...can you add the unflavored powder to just about anything? Even sf jello?
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 315 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 231 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 296 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 150 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 53 views
Recent Topics