IS RNY reversable?

happyhealing
on 9/13/11 7:28 am
Is this procedure reversable?  I mean if I keep having problems I just want to be put back the way I was.  Just wondering how that would work and if I really would NEVER be the same.
sjweiser
on 9/13/11 7:30 am
 Sorry but the RNY is not reversable.
poet_kelly
on 9/13/11 7:36 am - OH

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 9/13/11 7:34 am - OH
It is, but it's a difficult surgery to perform and not all surgeons do it.  It can be riskier than the original surgery.  And it is possible that even after a reversal, some problems may continue.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

davis93
on 9/13/11 10:34 am - NC
 this si good to know i also have alot of problems go back to the dr friday 

Jenni_9yrspostop
on 9/13/11 8:08 am
My doctor is one of the few I guess who can do a reversal and he's done a couple that I know of. Both came out ok. If you're having problems work with your doctor, many have issues at first but afterwhile things settle down and tha patient realizes the problems were worth it. Give it some time, it's all new and we had our body operated on, not our heads. That takes a bit longer to come around.
Good luck to you -

Jen 10 yrs post op
Kat Kat
on 9/13/11 9:33 am - AZ
Just as Kelly said, my surgeon said it's reversable. Not that I'd want to go back to where I was again.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/13/11 10:27 am - OH
Yes, it technically IS reversible, but it is generally only done in extreme cases where your health is in significant danger if it is NOT reversed.  Not many surgeons are qualified to do it because it is a very complex surgery (much more complex than doing the RNY in the first place).  Because the reversal means needing to reattach the remnant stomach, you will never be the same as you were before -- your digestive system will be pieced back together -- and may have issues at the reattachment sites.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

PTM
on 9/13/11 11:02 am
I actually didn't know that the procedure was reversible - and it's probably best that I didn't since the first three months after my surgery were so incredibly miserable, I would have undone it in a heartbeat.

Here's hoping you'll be feeling better soon, Davis93. Would hate to think you'd gone through all this only to have to undergo another surgery.
Margaret   HW: 342    SW: 320    CW:  228    GW:  175    3          
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/13/11 11:07 am - OH
Even if you HAD known, and had asked to have it reversed, it is unlikely that your surgeon would have agreed after just problems the first couple of months (even if he is one of the relatively few surgeons properly trained to reverse a RNY).  It is almost always reserved for people whose health is in serious jeopardy if it is not reversed.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 234 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 150 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 65 views
Recent Topics