Open Surgery Recovery

facethemusic
on 8/8/11 7:29 am
My ulcer revision/possible reversal is tomorrow morning.  I was nervous before when i thought they would be doing it laparscopically.  Now it is going to be an open surgery.  My surgeon feels that if they open me up they'll have better access to everything and I will be more likely to wake up with a revision.  For those of you who had open RNY, what was your recovery like?  I had a hard time with pain after my lap RNY.  I don't even want to think about how bad it could be this time.  I am curious what to expect though.  Did you have to wear a binder?  How big was your scar?  How bad was the pain?
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/8/11 7:38 am - OH
My open RNY scar went all the way from the bottom of my breastbone to my waist.  They gave me a binder, but it actually hurt more than it helped (I am short so it was too long) so I only wore it for a couple of days.  I had a lot of pain the first week, buit it was better the second week (although I continued the pain meds that second week.. just not as often).  I took the pain meds at night for a while beyond that.  The pain was considerable but not as much as with my hernia repair or my tummy tuck!

Good luck tomorrow.  I hope they are able to just do a revision.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

ktharp89
on 8/8/11 7:42 am - Gaithersburg, MD
 I had open rny and my complications had nothing to do with the openness...of it. I had a lot of pain for the first day or so but I've talked to a bunch of people who had it done lap and I don't think I had it much harder. I think it might be harder for the first day or so. But it wasn't that bad. I slept in a recliner for two weeks which I think helped me a lot. 
Height - 5'8  - SW - 292/ CW - 177.6 /GW - 150 - BMI - 27.1 - 114.4 lbs lost!
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore" Vincent Van Gogh
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

facethemusic
on 8/8/11 7:47 am
Lora, I don't think I will like the binder for the same reason.  I'm 5'3" and have a short torso.  They said they will open me from sternum to just above my belly button. 

I'm getting pretty nervous.  The hardest part for me is not knowing what I'll be waking up with.  He feels like if he dose it open then he'll be able to handle my pouch and will have a better chance of keeping my bypass in tact.  I really don't want a reversal, but with everything that has happened they need to get the ulcers out one way or another.  3 months and 2 blood transfusions after my initial diagnosis is enough. 
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

Pupcake !.
on 8/8/11 7:50 am - Stranded in, IA
I don't have a lap procedure to compare it to but my open surgeries (RNY, bowel resection, hernia repair)  were all OK.  I do tend to have abdominal spasms the 1st 1-2 days and they are killers- I thought I was going to tear myself apart.

After the spasms resolve the pain is easy to handle.  It only really hurts when you move, or cough, you don't get gas pains.

Good luck

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 289 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 293 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 286 views