I've gained 16 pounds!!! Just need to vent

facethemusic
on 7/21/11 7:14 am
I just need to vent.  I'm on TPN to allow my ulcer a chance to heal.  I know I need the TPN, but the scale this morning got to me.  I was down to 174 last week before being put in the hospital.  Today I'm 190!  I am terrified I'm going to hit 200 again before this is over.  I'm not sure if I can handle that phsychologically so the scale is being put up until I've been off the TPN for a while.  

Physically I can tell I've gained.  I know a lot of it is from all the IV fluids I got in the hospital, but the 1100 calorie a day TPN is probably not helping.  I know I shouldn't gain on 1100 a day, but I think due to my body going from pretty much nothing for almost 2 weeks to 1100 a day has a lot to do with my gain.  I'm hoping it will taper off.  If I didn't need the TPN I would ask to stop, but it was a life/death deal since I can't eat without extreme pain and vomiting.  On the plus side I've been able to keep water down today with no nausea and minimal pain.  
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/21/11 7:37 am
calm down It is jus****er from the IV.  You can't gain on 1100 cal. 
I had iron infiusions last 3 days. Not that much fluid , but steroids and otehr stuff.  in the first 2 days - 5 lbs gain. . I know it is fluid - so for  awhile I do not weigh myself. Not worth the stress.  
The loss you had were most likely due to dehydration and minerla loss when you could not eat anything. Youy body is going back to where it needs to be.  The 174 was probably 184 if you were properly hydrated.   

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

facethemusic
on 7/21/11 7:41 am
That makes a lot of sense about me being properly hydrated.  I'm trying to remain calm about it.  I knew before I stepped on the scale that the number would be up, but I don't think I had prepared for how much.  The scale has been put at the top of the closet by my DH.  I can't reach it so I won't be able to get it for a while lol.  I'm going to avoid the scale for the rest of the time on TPN.  There are a lot of fluids in that too from what the dietician said.  She said that I need to get at least 20 ounces of water in a day because the rest of my water is in the TPN bag, but she told me to aim higher if I could.  Right now 20 ounces is a bit of a struggle, but I'm doing. 
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

SweetGirl11
on 7/21/11 7:15 pm
Hi Hala!  I had my first iron IV infusion on Monday.  Went well, no side effects.  I'm starting to see a little color in my cheeks already!  I was so pale.  How are you feeling?  Do you notice any difference?

Michelle    (OH member since 2004 - new user name)

HW 285 / SW 270 / GW 140 / LW 135 / CW 185

RNY 6/8/2009  
Starting size 26/28, now size 12/14

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  -Hebrews 13:8

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/21/11 11:31 pm
Glad you decide to do it.  I had to start drinking 1/2-1/2 decaff coffee. I was on 3 double expresso per day.. plus more in the afternoon. And still was ready to go and have a nap anytime. 
Yesterday I noticed more energy.  This morning woke upi 30 min before the alarm and cleaned the house (some), fixed leaking toilet, hand a mirrow, etc...  And drank some coffee... but made that 50% decaff.  Normally I get B12 shot once a week - but I am skipping this week.   Don't want to me too wired for the weekend. 
Did you have only one? one day? probably differnt formulation. 
Mine was 1 x day for 4 days deal.  They also gave me steriods and some other stuff to limit side effects.  
So far so good. My doc told me that it may take up to 4-6 weeks for all the iron to get stored into ferritin, but that I should feel the difference very fast.  I am feeling it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SweetGirl11
on 7/22/11 7:42 am
Hala, I'm so glad you're starting to feel better! I had Venofer iron infusion. It is once a week for a few weeks. It took only one hour. Didn't need any Benadryl or steroids. Had no bad effects. I am noticing a little coor in my face and feeling a little better. I was so tired and exhausted. I hope we both continue to feel better! :D

Michelle    (OH member since 2004 - new user name)

HW 285 / SW 270 / GW 140 / LW 135 / CW 185

RNY 6/8/2009  
Starting size 26/28, now size 12/14

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  -Hebrews 13:8

bittybabynurse
on 7/21/11 7:53 am - MN
I know it can be hard to imagine that the fluid alone will do that, but there's no way you're gaining on 1100 calories of anything! If you're not moving much, the fluid is probably third spacing (moving out of your blood and into the spaces between your vessels and muscles/bones, etc) and that can add weight. It will get better. I wish I could say more than "hang in there" but trust that they are taking care of you!
((hugs))
Highest  272 Consult 265 Goal 165 Current 158    

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker]
DisneyLover
on 7/21/11 10:56 am - WI
It is going to be OK.  You need this to heal.  You will lose again.  Just get better.

Sarah

Proudtobaloser
on 7/21/11 2:09 pm - Fayetteville, NC
You will be fine luv. Hugs. I know it is fgrustrationg but what is more important, those few extra pounds ebing there or getting your health back?

Again big soft e-hugs sent your way and warm thoughts and wishes that you get better soon.....

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 286 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 283 views