How long do you wait?

facethemusic
on 7/11/11 1:27 pm
If you're having a hard time getting fluids down at what point do you call your surgeon?  I've kept down about 1/2 a cup today despite Phenergan suppositories.  I haven't even been out of the hospital a day and I'm still sick.  I called my surgeon shortly after I left when I got sick, but he was kind of rude.  He made a snarky comment about how I didn't throw up in the hospital.  Getting Phenergan and Zofran every 4 hours probably had a lot to do with that.  I'm doing my best to get anything down, but it's a struggle to get it down and keep it down.

How long can the body go withou****er?  What about food?  Vitamins?  He knew when he discharged me that I couldn't keep solid foods down much less my meds and vitamins.  At some point this is going to start impacting my body in a big way.  My blood work looked okay today, but doesn't it take a little while for your nutrient stores to be depleted?

If I'm still like this tomorrow I'll call but he was such a jerk today.  I'm hesitant to call.  He made me feel like I have absolutely no reason to be sick and that I was annoying him.  If he thinks this is inconvienient for him then he needs to spend a day in my shoes.  I can't function like this.  If he thought I had no reason to get sick then why send me home with a PICC line?
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

Rebecca H.
on 7/11/11 1:35 pm
I'm sorry but I have no advise for you but it makes me mad when doctors act like that. I hope you feel better soon.
Diane W.
on 7/11/11 1:59 pm - Los Banos, CA
 Oh no. You have to drink. Call tomorrow and talk to the nurse. Get an appt. Bring your barf bag with you. Or you could go to the emergency room at the hospital where your surgeon works. You poor thing. Feel better soon. Take care.
fiveholts714
on 7/11/11 1:45 pm - St. George, UT
You will dehydrate quickly so you need to call. You are the paying customer. Don't take no for an answer. He sent you home with PICC? Do you have other health problems?

facethemusic
on 7/11/11 2:19 pm
They sent me home with the PICC line "just in case".  They tried an IV but blew 6 veins and then when they finally got the IV in it infiltrated within an hour.  The PICC line was even difficult to get in.  The doctor that did it tried 5 times before successfully getting it in.  He said he didn't think he could do it again so to preserve the one I have.  

The only other health issue I currently have is an ulcer.  I think that's part of the reason I've been so sick lately.  

I've already called and the on-call is calling in the oral dissentegrating Zofran to see if it helps.  If I'm like this in the morning I have to go back up there to be admitted.  

Carrie W.
on 7/11/11 1:52 pm - KY
Dehydration is nothing to play with. I'd go to the ER for an IV if nothing else. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hope you find a resolution soon. Take care!!
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

Proudtobaloser
on 7/11/11 3:00 pm - Fayetteville, NC
Rule of three hun. Average human can't survie without air for more than 3 minutes, average human can not survive withou****er/liquids for more than three days, average human can not survive without food for more than 3 weeks.

Go to the emergency room and make sure they KNOW what you are going through.
Tll him you didnt vomit because you were on those meds in the hospital. He should know better. YOU know yourself better than he does and you sure as heck know when something is wrong.

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

facethemusic
on 7/11/11 3:21 pm
I've never heard that rule before, but that is something I will remember from now on.  It makes complete sense.

The sublingual Zofran seems to be helping as of now.  I've managed to keep a whole 12 ounces of water down since taking it.  I will definitely go to the ER if I start vomiting again though. 

I know the PICC line is there for IV fluids and stuff like the TPN, but would it be unreasonable to ask my surgeon about prescribing my nausea meds via IV?  I feel like if I could get that under control I would start to turn the corner and start feeling better again.

KarlyBeth
on 7/11/11 3:38 pm - KY
I would go to your surgeons office tomorrow and barf on his desk! bet he will try to get that fixed quickly!
facethemusic
on 7/11/11 4:05 pm
Haha, not a bad idea!  That reminds of when I was pregnant with my daughter.  I had horrible morning sickness with her.  Well, I was on my way home from lunch and started feeling really sick, shaky and just knew I was going to throw up.  I stopped at my bank to go to the restroom which I've had to do in a pinch before with no problem.  The ***** at the desk promptly informed me that the bathroom was not open to the public.  I was obviously pregnant at this point and I explained her that I really needed to go the bathroom.  She flat out refused to let me use the bathroom.  At this point I'm on the verge of tears because I was fighting back vomitting in public.  She told me that even though I was a customer there she absolutely would not let me use the bathroom and if it were that bad then I needed to plan ahead for those kinds of things.  

I couldn't fight it back any longer and took that opportunity to barf all over her desk.  I felt fine immeadiately afteward.  I told her to have a nice day, turned around and walked out the bank.  I know she had to be mortified.  I probably should of apologized or offered to help her, but she was so freaking rude.  I called the bank later that afternoon and spoke to the branch manager who apologized profusely.  I felt slightly vindicated after puking on her desk.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 288 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?