What would you do?

facethemusic
on 7/11/11 8:23 am
I got discharged from the hospital this morning after being admitted last week.  I had a GI bleed that they couldn't locate, but it seems to of resolved itself so no surgery yet.  They sent me home with a PICC line because after blowing 6 veins that was the only option to get me fluids and get me rehydrated.  While in the hospital I got nausea meds every few hours and although I was still incredibly nauseous I kept clear liquids down okay for the most part.  Well, since coming home I've gotten sick 3 times.  I'm struggling to keep my meds down.  I called my surgeon about an hour after discharge to let him know I was getting sick.  His response was "Well you didn't get sick in the hospital so I'm not sure what's going on".  I didn't get sick because I was on meds you asshole!  Fortunately, I had some Phenergan suppositories in the fridge and that seems to be helping so far.  

After him being so rude I'm scared to call about anything now.  I'm okay now, but keeping even water down is still a struggle.  I'm staying on clear liquids until this passes, but I worry it won't pass.  How long does it take the body to get dehydrated?  What about malnourished?  I worry about the effects of not having anything substantial to eat in almost a week.  I tried to eat a little bit of pudding today with some protein powder added, but it came right up.  I also tried to take my vitamins and I barely got them down when I got sick.  I know I'm lacking something because my hair is falling out by the fistfull.  

Would you call again?  Originally I was told upon admission that I would be going home on TPN feedings.  Well for whatever reason my surgeon decided against it.  I feel like at this point that is probably what I need.  My labwork looked "okay" according to my surgeon other than low potassium.  They gave me potassium through my IV during my hospital stay.  I guess since my blood work didn't show any severe deficiencies that I'm still alright, but how long can you go without food before your body starts to show signs of malnourishment?

I'm sorry this is all over the place.  I'm just really confused.  I'm so tired of being sick all the time.  I don't want TPN feedings, but if that is what it takes to get me healthy then so be it.  I just worry that my surgeon is being too conservative in his treatment and since he is 2 hours away I worry that I'm going to be really really ill by time he does something.
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

shellbell75
on 7/11/11 8:30 am
Since you haven't eaten in a week, I could see the pudding and protein coming up. You should try some warm broth, something light. I would get some unjury chicken soup overnighted, It's really yummy. If you can't do water try some Powerade Zero. That way it will help your electrolytes.
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

facethemusic
on 7/11/11 8:33 am
I'll have to check out the Unjury broth. It seems even clear liquids upsets my stomach.  I've tried popscicles and jello since coming home and both came up. 
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

ObiMomKenobi
on 7/11/11 12:57 pm
Stay on your surgeon's butt about this!  If the zofran worked in the hospital by iv, then maybe the sublinqual will work for you at home.

Remember that your surgeon works for you! Stay on his butt till he helps you. I know that is easier said than done when you are already sick.

I hope that you start feeling better soon!

Amanda

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/11/11 1:08 pm - OH
I would call the ass of a surgeon back, tell him you are concerned not only about your current state, but the lack of nutrition for the entire week, remind him that in the hospital they were giving you meds for nausea, and specifically ask him for something to take at home for the nausea (suppositories are likely to work best if everything is coming up).

Do NOT let him bully you!  This is your HEALTH we are talking about here, and not being able to eat or drink could end up causing you all sorts of problems if it continues.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 268 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 280 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 279 views