To Cho*****t to chop? That is the question!

AMRubel
on 6/24/11 1:13 pm
Hello fellow hair and weight losers! 

My hair is falling out pretty steadily (thankfully no bald spots...YET). It is a bit overwhelming when I wash or brush my hair and there are so many strands dangling from my hand or brush.

I will admit, I am very lazy when it comes to my hair...I will wear my hair up in a clip most days...okay...EVERY DAY! So I am a bit aprehensive to cut my hair because it may force me to actually do something with it. 

HOWEVER, I am down almost 80 lbs, and am certainly feeling much more confident in myself and I think I am ready to be a sassy looking mommy and wife. 

My question to you....do I chop my hair or hang on to every little strand that I have? I am too indecicive and I need my WLS Family to give me some advice!   If you guys don't help, I may just go buy a wig! 

(Also if you know of any good websites of sample hair cut pictures, please do share!) 

Picture of me to help with your decision!
Pretty recent Close up with hair in clip 

~ month ago, Full length with hair down

Adrienne    
Highest Weight - 263.2  Surgery Weight - 247.40  Current Weight - 148.5   

*Total loss includes 15.8lbs lost on surgeon required pre-op diet.   
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/24/11 1:29 pm - OH
Usually, when you have longer hair and lose a significant amount of it, it tends to look thin and somewhat "scraggly", especially if you can see light through the hair below the ears... and therefore appears to be fuller if you cut it shorter...

Based on the picture I think you look fine -- you ahve a lot mroe hair than I do (after I had a second round of hair loss last year), but I would encourage you to do the "light" test.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Ladytazz
on 6/24/11 2:17 pm
 I am exactly in the same place.  I have had two surgeries in the last year and my hair, which has always been very thin, is just about gone.  
I want to cut it but it has taken me so long to get it this long.  The funny thing is I don't even like long hair.  It is so hard to take care of and I can't do anything with it except put it up in a pony tail.  I hate the way it feels on my face and back.
But, I have never had long hair in my life.  I have always wanted to but I used to have trichotillomania and I used to pull my hair out.  I think that is why it is so thin.  I used to keep it very short to keep from pulling it but for some reason the last time I let it grow out I stopped pulling on it so I decided to let it grow out.  Now it is this long 
That may not look like much but, like I said, I never had it this long before and I always used to dream of being skinny and having long hair.  Too bad I am 53 and it looks ridiculous on me.
I need to bite the bullet and get it cut.  It would make my life easier, too, but like you I am afraid I won't know how to wear it and it will be a hassle in itself.  Maybe I should just buy a wig, too, and be done with it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

mdolan20
on 6/24/11 2:22 pm - Brick, NJ
My mom lost a lot of hair after a surgery she had and she cut it into the old "Posh Spice" cut...stacked in the back and a little longer on the sides...it looked SOOO full and pretty. It's also easy to care for...now we all have it lol...i'm just curly so it looks a little different.
Melissa HW:350 SW:333 CW:234 GW:128

seashell6417
on 6/24/11 2:43 pm - Gaylord, MN
Cutting my long hair off was one of the best things I did.  I had worn it long for many years and it was so liberating to be free of it.  I, too, always wore mine up and had the same concerns that you do with having to "do" something with it each day.  It has been fine and quickly became part of my normal routine.  Another added benefit was taking several years off my appearance when I chopped my hair off.  I am almost 2 1/2 years out.  My hair is super thick again but I am still wearing it short.
Tami

FunBrain
on 6/24/11 4:48 pm
 I vote get a new hair style to compliment the new you!!!!  Short hair really does not take that much effort.  There are so many styles that only require you to blow dry, add a little hair wax and out the door you go....looking stylish, sassy, and sexy!   Go check out 2011 short hair styles...your bound to find something you love.  GoodLuck!!!!!  

Price S.
on 6/24/11 9:37 pm - Mills River, NC
After 30 yrs of really short hair, I had let my grow the year of my surgery.  Even had a perm which I hadn't done in years.  When it started falling out, I went to chin lenght and frosted it.  Mine is really thin now and fine and the frosting gave it more body.  It is very easy, just blow dry and turn the ends under.
Between that and the weight, folks say I look 20 yrs younger.  I'll take that anyday.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Mary B.
on 6/25/11 12:06 am - Southern, MD
My hair was pretty long. I wasnt losing it so much as I guess everything just started making it so scraggly and dry.

My BFF is a stylist and she pretty much said...do you want it long to be long or do you want it to look nice? I ended up cutting about 4-5 inches off. Its so much nicer and healthier. Its actually easier to work with. I let her do whatever she wanted. she knows what I like. I only asked to be able to put it up and to keep my bangs long cause I cant pull off short bangs.

Before and minus 5 inches:

Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

sunpat41
on 6/25/11 5:19 am
I just had my surgery, and I had hair a little longer then yours and just had my hair dresser cut it to a little longer then my ears so I can still ware it in a pony tail which is how I always ware it, I don't like to do my hair either, if I have to go shorter later at least it is in stages good luck

Patty
                        HW 250/ SW 246 CW 137

Carrie W.
on 6/25/11 7:26 am - KY
I say go for it!

I chopped mine off right after I had surgery, took 16" off. Then a month or so later, I chopped it again. It doesn't quite touch my shoulders now. I'm losing hair now too so I don't know how it'll end up. I'm very lucky in that I trust my stylist 100%.

Good luck with your decision and post pics when/if you get it cut!
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 308 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 226 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 292 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 0 replies · 14 views