OBand

SonyaB
on 6/20/11 12:46 pm - Mantachie, MS
Hi! I just have a question for a friend of mine since she doesn't have the internet. She was wondering if you can have the lapband or O band after having gastric bypass? I told her I didn't think you could but I wanted to ask and get other opinions. If you know anything about this any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sonya
Ladytazz
on 6/20/11 12:54 pm
 Yes, it is known as band over bypass or "bob".  It is for people who have had their pouch stretch or their stoma has enlarged.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

SonyaB
on 6/20/11 1:11 pm - Mantachie, MS
Hi Ladytazz! How do you know if your pouch is stretched? She hasn't said her pouch is stretched or her stoma has enlarged. She has gained weight and has tried everything to get her back on track.

Thank You!
SonyaB
Ladytazz
on 6/20/11 1:29 pm
 The surgeon would have to scope her to be sure.  I don't know that the band would help much if it's not, if for instance the reason she is gaining is because of grazing or a lot of carbs.
Lisa has had a band over bypass and has done very well.  Hopefully she will come by and you can ask her.

SonyaB
on 6/20/11 1:49 pm - Mantachie, MS
I know I had my GB done in 2008 and my weight was 309 and here it is 3 years later and I am at 238 so of course I have gained. I was going to the track everyday but had to end up having back surgery due to a bulging disc and it started making my right leg and right foot go numb..so had my back surgery and now i am in worse shape than before surgery so now i am definetly introuble when it comes to walking because i have what they call drop foot and don't have much use of my right leg. I would even think about O Band when I get better but I am just like Lola my friend that I am not sure I have stretched my pouch or anything.

Thanks
SonyaB
Ladytazz
on 6/20/11 1:56 pm
 How are your labs.  I think drop foot may be linked to vitamin B1 deficiency.
Have you been back to see your WLS surgeon lately?  You can request a scope to see the status of your pouch and have your labs checked.  If you haven't stretched your pouch or stoma then you still have your tool and can use it when you are ready.
Please take care of yourself.

SonyaB
on 6/20/11 2:08 pm - Mantachie, MS
I haven't been back to see my surgeon yet. I was supposed to go last month but was unable to go due to my back. They say the drop foot is due to a nerve. When I had my bulging disc in my lower back it was on the main nerve and that was what was causing my leg and foot to go numb. The reason I have been is because my surgeon is like 1 to 1 1/2 hour drive and right now I am lucky to drive 30 minutes without pain.  I really do appreciate your information though. I have to start PT next week and I hope it helps with the leg but have a bad feeling it isn't. The surgeon that done my back surgery said that the nerve that relates to that part of my foot that he didn't even mess with that nerve. We are afraid he has clipped a nerve by accident.

Thanks again
Sonya
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 306 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 225 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 290 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics