No nut, so need some advise about diet 8 wks post-op

ANNI D.
on 5/8/11 6:48 am
First off, NO, this not a "when can I eat....," thread. I am 8 weeks out and have some questions about calorie in take each day.

I use Calorie Counter by FatSense and have been doing so religiously for the past couple of weeks. Those of you who say that sometimes you aren't aware of how many calories you consume each day, are exactly right. I was estimating my daily intake in my head and now that I have been tracking, I am somewhat alarmed of the amount I am consuming.

On days when I am busy running around going to Dr appointments and running errands I have to make a concerted effort to get all my protein in, but the days that I am at home, it seems that I am getting at least 90-100 every day, but at the price of calorie consumption. Here is my daily intake from the day before yesterday:

B- 1 Atkins Day Break Oatmeal cinnamon square
    1 Oikos Organic Caramel Greek Yogurt
S- 1/2 Atkins Caramel Chocolate Bar
L- 1 scoop Body Fortress vanilla protein powder(in shake)
    1/2 scoop About Time Birthday Cake protein powder(in shake)
D- 1/4 serving of sliced turkey from Jenn-O  packaged meal
    1 oz sharp cheddar cheese
S- 1 Oikos Organic Caramel Greek Yogurt

Which comes to a grand total of:
Calories-875
Fat- 32.25
Carbs- 50.5
Protein- 93.25
Sugar- 34.5g

I know that for someone who is maintenance, this is o.k., but I am only 8 weeks out. A couple of times my calories have hit about 1,007 to 1,012. I'm thinking that, that is way too much for this early out. I just don't want to be self-sabotaging myself, as I seem to do with every other thing in my life! I would really like some of your opinion and feedback. I ALWAYS get my water in, and usually way over-100 or more oz, and I always get in my vitamins. The thing is, I have been able to drink normally since day 3 and I absolutely love that, but I'm finding that I'm not as ready for lots of solid foods, as I'd like to be at this point, so I'm kinda stuck in slider rut. Any offering would be appreciated.
I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/8/11 6:53 am - OH
"I know that for someone who is maintenance, this {875 calories} is o.k., but I am only 8 weeks out"

Just FYI: That number of calories is actually FAR too low for someone in maintenance.  1400-1800 is typical and people who exercise a lot eat far more.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

gbsinsatx
on 5/8/11 7:40 am - San Antonio, TX
These are the rules I follow: 

3-6 Months After Surgery: eat 600-700 calories a day

6-9 Months After Surgery: eat 800-900 calories a day

9-12 Months After Surgery: eat 1000 calories a day

12-18 Months After Surgery: eat 1200 calories a day

18 Months-On After Surgery: eat Maintenance calories (BMR & Activity Level)
P.S. Malabsorption of calories lasts 18-24 months approximately. 

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

beatrice00
on 5/8/11 9:46 am - NY
RNY on 04/10/12 with
I was told about 600 calories at 8 weeks.

ANNI D.
on 5/8/11 12:05 pm
I think I was concentrating on eating every few hours that, since I have never gotten nauseous or upset stomach, it became an easy habit to just keep eating small stuff a couple times a day. I was so worried about my body going into starvation mode that I went too far in the other direction. I am SOOO glad for the new droid smartphone I just broke down and bought because with out it, I would still be doing a half-ass job adding it in my head!! I only took the math I had to to graduate!!

So, thanks to my wonderful new little stomach, and my wonderful Calorie Counter app, I will be taking a better look at what I'm eating and get to the right number per day, I should be having! I was at a little of a stall, so now I know that I've upped my calories for a few days and will go back down. Hopefully, I start dropping some lbs like flies!!
I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

ephraimmeir77
on 5/8/11 3:56 pm - CA
The fat and sugar seems quite high as well. Rather than the carmel greek yogurts try the fat free unflavored ones and add splenda and cinnamin or SF jelly. Those Atkins prepakaged stuff also has pretty high fat.
Ephraim Osgood

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 306 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 225 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 291 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?