Dry heaves...please help

sherri7794
on 4/23/11 3:24 pm
I was doing fine for a while now I seem to be back at square one with a new problem.  I am back to only being able to hit 400-600 calories daily because my pouch is hurting 90% of the time.  To top it off I have had 3 separate episodes of dry heaves now.  I don't know why I am having them.  The first time I hadn't ate anything at all and they happened pretty much as soon as I woke up.  The second and third times I hadn't ate in hours and both of those times I happened to smell things my husband was cooking (neither were bad smells) and as soon as the smell hit me they started.  I don't understand this. These episodes last about 10 minutes and then I feel better.  I am completely puzzled by this.  Does anyone out there know what this could be caused by?  I am calling my surgeon Monday.

Lady Lithia
on 4/23/11 4:55 pm
I couldn't begin to guess, but do contact your surgeon, and in the meantime baby your pouch.

Some people do experience grouchy pouch days.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

I know that in the first 6 months after my surgery I was super sensitive to smells and just about anything would trigger my nausea. I've also found that if I haven't eaten I get very nauseous. That's still the case.  I eat a piece of crystallized ginger to control my nausea, even still and I'm 2 1/2 years out.

I'm glad you're calling your doc. I mean, the OH boards are great and all, but this is why the doc's get paid the big bucks, yanno? 
terilynn112
on 4/23/11 11:32 pm - maryland, NY
I have the same issues. We're now thinking mine is related to the bowel end of my system. I'm on prescription meds for it. It helps most days. The crash when they're wearing off can be super nasty for me. I've actually ended up in the ER because they got a head of me, and I couldn't stop dry heaving, last wednesday.

It can be caused by a blockage (anywhere in the digestive system), it can be caused by a stomal stricture. It can be caused by being to hungry. I've seen people do that. I haven't had that experience. Mine is we're thinking bowel related. IN the 6 weeks post my RNY I had a bowel surgery, that leaves me prone to other issues.

Please do have it checked into.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

sherri7794
on 4/23/11 11:36 pm
Thank you all.  Yes, I am calling him tomorrow.  I think mine may be allowing myself to get too hungry.  I do wait longer than I should before eating.  Happy Easter to everyone :)

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 303 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 290 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views