Fifth Day post op - few questions

jodijsimba
on 4/9/11 11:48 pm - NJ
Hello Everyone,
I have been reading som many posts and find I gain not only knowledge from everyone, but much relief as well.  I had RNY on 4/6 - I think overall I am doing pretty well.  Just have a few questions:
            -how often should I be getting up/out to walk and for how long
            -i do feel tired, is that normal?
            -when do i have to start to worry about strictures? when do    they usually form?  I am scare pretty bad - is that an indicator that I will develop one?

Thanks for any insight and hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday!
Jodi

lee12197
on 4/9/11 11:55 pm
RNY on 02/28/11 with
I walked at least once an hour the time really depends on what you can handle, you dont want to overdo it. I was very tired, your body is healing so this is normal. At six weeks out im not so tired during the day but at the end of the day when its bedtime i have no issues fallin asleep! I cant help with the stricture question sorry....

Katari
on 4/9/11 11:56 pm - OR
Hi! Congrats on your recent surgery. Yes, it's normal to feel tired! You had pretty major surgery. There is no "written rule" on how often you should get up and walk around or how far. A lot of that depends on what you were doing BEFORE surgery. If you didn't walk much before hand, don't expect to go out and walk a mile. I did walk before hand and the day after surgery (I was in the hospital less than 24 hours) I was walking "laps" around the inside of the house, the second day I went and walked "laps" around our cul-de-sac (3 laps around, 4 or 5 times a day) I didn't want to get to far from home (I could just see me trying to walk that two miles I normally did and get to tired to get back home. lol). Strictures can form at any time, but not everyone gets them. I also scar easily, but I haven't had a stricture (knock on wood. lol) and I'm a year and a half out.
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

jodijsimba
on 4/10/11 12:00 am - NJ
thanks so much for the advice and info - I tend to be a very nervous person, and having a plave to vent is so awesome!  i am glad it is over, I see me surgeon on tuesday - again, thanks for responding!!
LossLeader
on 4/10/11 12:01 am
Your doctor give you specific information on how much and when to exercise. However, my doc was very much an advocate of that, and I was walking around the day after the operation. He recommended walking everyday, and after a month-six weeks I was going to the gym. I think that exercising will make you feel less tired, which is totally norma.

I have to admit I've never encountered the word "strictures" before.  Is that a problem with healing?

Highest weight: approx. 293
Pre-fast weight: 284
Surgery weight: 274
Lowest weight:163
Current weight:182 

PopeyesGirl
on 4/10/11 12:58 am - OH
I had rny on 4/6 also. I was up walking that evening at the hospital. I tried to get up as often as I could tolerate and do 2 laps around the nurses station. I also got up to get my own ice from the nutrition room. I am an occupation therapist assistant so I deal with people after surgery all the time. I make them get out of bed. I tell them the bed is evil..you won't believe how fast you will loose your strenght from staying in bed. Even sitting up in a chair will do you good. Since i have been home (friday afternoon) I have gone for walks at least 2 x a day around the block. My little kids go with me since they are "taking care of Mommy".
Yes feeling tired is normal. Don't forget the pain meds you are on will also affect your energy level. Keep walking to build up your activity tolerance.
I have no clue about the strictures.
Good luck!

acb_2011
on 4/10/11 1:05 am

I had surgery on 2/15 and it has just been within the last two weeks that I have not felt tired at the end of the day.  I was VERY tired during the first four weeks, but it does get better :)

I think the more you can get up and walk the better. 

I am on my way!
Lady Lithia
on 4/10/11 1:31 am
You should get up and walk as often as possible. If you are watching TV, get up at all the commercials.

Yes it's normal to be tired. I was three months before I could go without a mid-afternoon nap

You shouldn't worry about strictures because you have no way of controlling it. Three out of four never have a stricture. If you scar easily you might actually be less prone..... the problem with stricture is that the opening heals too QUICKLY..... I heal phenomenally well and expected to have a stricture but did not.

Just do what you can, and enjoy the ride, and if you stop being able to consume anything without throwing up, go see your surgeon.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

HETSB
on 4/10/11 3:38 am
I had surgery on 4/4 and I have the opposite problem!  I can't sleep at all!  I am wide awake till 2 or 3 in the morning and then get up at 6.  I have never had a problem sleeping before and it's not b/c of pain!
I haven't taken pain meds since the 2nd day I was in the hospital and feel totally normal.  I am walking all over the neighborhood and think I am going to go back to they gym next week.  No weights or anything yet!
Holly O.
on 4/10/11 4:40 am - FL
Awesome!!  Sure hope I bounce back like that..........I did after the lapband surgery 5 years ago........but the RNY is different.  So I'm hoping!!
Most Active
Recent Topics