Seriously disgusting question (about bathroom problems)

kiradot
on 1/29/09 9:58 pm
OK so I have searched constipation on here and I can't find anything, although I am sure this has been asked a million times.

The last few days I have been really constipated.  It has literally hurt really bad to go poo :(

Last night was really bad.  I ended up calling my Mom at like 11 pm and she brought me over an enema.  I have never done that before (it was so horrible).  Even when I was pregnant I never had a problem with constipation because I have always eaten a LOT of fiber (well and a lot of everything else).

My question is can I take a laxative?  Or a suppository?  What kind?  My surgeon is not in the office until Monday and I don't know what I am going to do if this continues over the weekend. 

Once I "get myself going" is there anything I can eat/drink/whatever to keep me regular until I can get more fiber through food in my diet (I am only 6 weeks out).  I tried eating prunes last night (my kids LOVE them) and after two I felt really nauseous so I know that is out for right now.

Thanks for your help.  I can't believe I am posting about this, it is really embarrassing but my ass hurts.

Amanda 5'10"  346/316/158/175 (start/surgery day/current/tentative goal)

Somewhere inside me, there is a fat girl just dying to get back out. I mostly just try to keep her subdued with sugar free pudding, but she's not amused.

Our Lady of the Holy
Rollers

on 1/29/09 10:02 pm, edited 1/29/09 10:04 pm
 Get a stool softener and Miralax. Drink LOTS of fluids. 

Oh yeah. . . 

. . . and CALL YOUR DOC first thing Monday AM!

-----------------------------------------

Our Lady of the Holy Rollers

That's not a tiara. I just bedazzle my horns.

Maw_Maw1961
on 1/29/09 10:02 pm - Richmond/Katy, TX
I have seen this come up a couple of times.  I am having my surgery on Tuesday and would also like to know.  It did happen to me after my Hysterectomy and I don't relish the idea of it happening again.  Thank you for asking. 

Karen The Papaya
Queen

on 1/29/09 10:02 pm - somewhere

I use Benefiber all the time to avoid this problem..... Milk Of Magnesia or Smooth Move Tea (herb tea with Senna in it) works overnight, suppositories work even faster.... a daily stool softener such as Colace will keep it from getting so bad....  My Doc/Nut said any or all of the above was fine.....

Life is tough, but my God is TOUGHER
"There is more to life than increasing its speed.? Gandhi
The Greatest Pleasure In Life Is Doing What People Say You Cannot  Do....

377/331/198/175 Highest/WLS/Current/Goal

Our Lady of the Holy
Rollers

on 1/29/09 10:04 pm
 Trouble is, you are much further out than the OP. I agree with you in theory, but with her being recent. . . . ???

-----------------------------------------

Our Lady of the Holy Rollers

That's not a tiara. I just bedazzle my horns.

Pam T.
on 1/30/09 12:04 am - Saginaw, MI
I've been doing 2x daily colace since my surgery.  Doctor said it was fine for daily use.

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

kiradot
on 1/29/09 10:05 pm
Are these  available over the counter (the stool softener)?
I would prefer to stick to something like the teas or benefiber but I need something on hand just in case.

Amanda 5'10"  346/316/158/175 (start/surgery day/current/tentative goal)

Somewhere inside me, there is a fat girl just dying to get back out. I mostly just try to keep her subdued with sugar free pudding, but she's not amused.

Kayla W.
on 1/29/09 10:11 pm - North Charleston, SC
Hello there, first let me say don't be embarrassed. Its a very natural thing. I am 3 months out and
I ran into the same problem 3 times now. So here's what I did (if you do try anything i did I would recommend checking with the on staff nurse/doctor) but it worked for me.

I did the prunes, like you i could only eat 2 b/c  anything after gets too sweet and I vomited. But i was okay as long as I ate 2. Then I tried this kiddy laxative its called "Fletcher's laxative for kids"  its about $6 @ cvs its in a white box with 2 cartoon kids on it. I take only 2 teaspoon fulls and that's it. Reason being is that its root beer flavored and has a sweet taste. (my mom use to give this to me as a kid I thought it was awesome, I ate a lot of cheese then) So far its been working for me. I hope this helps.
Everything is possible when you have the faith to bee-lief !!!
Robin W.
on 1/29/09 10:29 pm - Franklin, OH
I really like GREEN TEA. I get the Kroger brand green tea bags and drink at least 24 or more oz a day no trouble at all.  You can make it hot or iced. 
Good Luck, 
Robin

4'10" - 47 I'm short but not petite and I will weigh more than a 5th grader
Start weight 220 
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"  Dr. Seuss

beahero
on 1/29/09 10:46 pm
It is embarrassing but from what I have seen on OH it's a common problem for us! I have tried stool softners, did this early on as well, but then the dr said I shouldn't rely on those. My dr really didn't give me much help as to what to do about this, just said to have more fiber and water. I have tried to up my fiber but I can't seem to get close to 25g from food. I add fiber sure to my drinks, its the same thing as benefiber but a bit less expensive. I also started using the chocolate smooth move tea from traditional medicinals-found it at the grocery store it gives you overnight relief. Suppository if it's really bad then after that the fiber sure and the tea. I also bought fiber one bars and found other foods made by fiber one as well. Oh and sometimes I use milk of magnesia too. Hope one of them helps you.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics