Seriously disgusting question (about bathroom problems)

natagirl
on 1/29/09 11:45 pm - IL
I took Miralax twice a day while I am constipated (once in morn, once at night****il I 'get going' and then once a day or every other day just to keep regular.  It just mixes with your water and dosent' really taste like anything.
                  'The universe is full of magical things,
     patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen.' Eden Phillpotts

Pam T.
on 1/29/09 11:45 pm - Saginaw, MI
When I was early out, I'd use Milk of Magnesia about every 3rd day.  And that was in addition to the 2 colace I took each day too.  I used the cherry flavor and kept it in the fridge--- so it wouldn't taste as horrible.  If you haven't gone for 3 days, don't wait... take action immediately.  MOM works in about 4 to 6 hours for me.

NOW... at 14 months out, here is my routine to keep regular:

2 Colace per day (AM & PM)
2 Fish Oil Caps per day (AM & PM) --- suggested by my PCP
25-30g fiber per day (usually can only do this with the help of FiberSure)
64oz water per day
Plenty of healthy fat (nuts, peanut butter, fish, olive oil)

Even with all of the above, I still get constipated and need to do MOM once in a while. 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

erin_akey
on 1/30/09 12:42 am - AL
I am a little over two weeks out and have had the same problem.  My surgeon had me get some Milk of Magnesia and it ALWAYS works within a few hours and with no cramps or icky side effects.
www.bariatricguru.com
Yes you CAN be a Bariatric Guru!
Tune in to FM TALK 106.5 Sundays from 12-1pm central for my show Fit LIving!  Listen live online at www.fmtalk1065.com .  We discuss life after weight loss surgery and living a healthy lifestyle!  Call in with questions for our expert guests!
"LIKE" us on Facebook- The Bariatric Guru

lovely2lqqat
on 1/30/09 4:03 am - harrisburg, PA
try magensium citrate and it will get things going!

FastFingers ~*~
on 1/30/09 5:26 am
That would work, too!  BUT if you do the magnesium citrate, do NOT start with a double dose of the miralax.  If you do the mag citrate, wait until you're all cleaned out from that, and then start the miralax at one capful twice a day, and do the benefiber as I outlined in my last post. 

Flying Spagetti Monster

"Doubt everything.  Find your own light."
--
Last words of Gautama Buddha, in Theravada tradition

FastFingers ~*~
on 1/30/09 5:21 am
MIRALAX IS RIGHT!!  But ignore their dosing recommendation.  They say one capful per day, but pediatricians give THAT dose to five year olds!  It won't help you much.

Start out with two capfuls twice a day (one dose in the morning and one at night) for the first two or three days, then drop it down to ONE cap twice a day for a week, then down to one cap a day for a few more weeks, then taper the dose down until you're off of it. 

A fleet enema once a night for three nights (the same three nights you do the double doses of miralax) is a good way to clean you out and keep things moving in the long run.  Starting miralax when you're all stopped up won't help at all.  You have to also clear the path. 

If the first two nights of enemas and miralax don't get things moving, use a glycerin suppository as directed on the box.  Use it as frequently as the directions allow until and unless things start moving.  

Adding benefiber will also REALLY help things along after the fact, but don't start up on a full dose right away.  Start with 1/4 of what they recommend, take that for a week, then go to 1/2 the recommended serving for a week, then finally up to full strength.  A sudden increase of fiber supplement can cause massive gas and sometimes even contribute to constipation.  So you want to ease into it.

Prune juice would also help a LOT if you can tolerate the sugar.  8 oz a day would go a long way to helping this issue.  If you can't tolerate the sugar, then mix it with whatever flavor of Crystal lite you like, or sugar free 7-Up so that you can get it down without dumping.

I hope that helps!

Flying Spagetti Monster

"Doubt everything.  Find your own light."
--
Last words of Gautama Buddha, in Theravada tradition

twohearts
on 1/30/09 5:52 am - Waukesha, WI
I'm having terrible hemmerhoid problems because of constipation.  I've been treating them with prep h and tucks and cortizone cream.  Oh, how I hate this though.  Hurts to sit down and I sit on my butt all day at work.  Itches and burns like hell too. 

I think I'll get the miralax and try it too.  I might have some stool softeners at home to try as well.  Thanks for the advice.  This is getting old fast.  If it doesn't heal up I will go to the doctor and see what they can do. 
NancyK2008
on 1/30/09 11:02 am, edited 1/30/09 11:03 am - Southern, CA
I swear by this remedy and would bet my next paycheck that it will work for you. I did suffer terribly with constipation. Not anymore! I didn't want to take the over the counter meds, I wanted a natural choice.

1.  Peter Gillham's Natural Vitality "Natural Calm". It is a natural magnesium supplement and also helps reduce stress. It works like a charm for me. Magnesium is a natural laxative. It's worth the money and I always have some on hand. You mix it with warm water and sip it like tea. I like to add it to some juice. It works within 24 hours for me.

2. Drink lots and lots of water.

3. On a daily basis, eat a small handful of almonds, which are another natural laxative.

Good luck! Potty on!

Nancy

P.S. For your sore butt, buy some Tucks pads and leave the pad on the affected area. Also get some hemorroid cream.
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 311 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 328 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 282 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 447 views