What to do next?

cant_weight
on 11/23/13 5:26 am - Melbourne, FL

Had my band removed October 15, 2013 due to a port infection (2nd port) and my decision it just wasn't working. Feeling pretty good, but trying not to unleash the beast that is my appetite. My surgeon has recommended the bypass for me, but I'm just not sure. On one hand, I think I need to do this on my own. And how can I pass up my dad's awesome homemade chocolate chip cookies. The dumping syndrome is totally scary. Then, I also think if I could do it on my own, I'd already have done it. My question, then, is this: What was the driving factor in your next surgery choice and why? And, if you're more than a few months post op, what's life really like? Thanks to everyone *****sponds. I really appreciate it.

band2sleeverevision
on 11/23/13 7:24 am
VSG on 02/25/13

I had a band for over 10 years and was gaining weight and having problems with it for the prior year.  I had the band out and then 90 days later had a sleeve.  My dr. recommended the bypass because he said revisions do better with a malabsorption component.  I really wanted a DS but they thought I was too light for that.  I ended up going with the sleeve, mainly because I had been successful with restriction only on the band and felt like I could do it again.

So far so good.  I've lost a lot slower (partly on purpose) this time but after 10 months I'm back down to my lowest band weight.  I lost about 7-8 pounds a month but probably would be at goal already if I had done DS or RNY.  I'll get there though:)

By the way, I can dump with a sleeve....if I have anything really sugary I will feel terrible for the next hour or so....

Life is like a perfect band day:)  I eat a small meal, about 3 ounces of meat and a little veg and feel full.  I can anticipate what I'll be able to eat and what will give me issues.  I rarely have foamies or throw up, like 2 times since surgery.  I threw up 2-3x a week with the band. I seem like a normal person....

Don't hesitate to get another surgery.  You'll do fine with any of the others.

Hislady
on 11/23/13 9:04 am - Vancouver, WA

If you were successful with the band then the sleeve would be the best choice. Not everyone needs malabsorption  and as far as dumping goes only 30% ish of RNYers dump and like the OP said sleevers can dump (tho not as bad I don't think) too. Heck I have an empty band and once in awhile will have dump like symptoms. At least with the sleev you CAN eat most anything, you won't want to until you are at goal and can afford to have some extras but there isn't anything off limits. Read about both surgeries and then decide what is best for you.

ohbearly
on 11/26/13 2:10 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13

After five year of Lapband, I revised to RNY in late July. My choice was driven by several factors: (1) my surgeon's recommendation, (2) the history of RNY success I have seen in my local support group, and (3) the success of my partner and good friends with RNY surgery.

I too was leery of dumping. As a matter of fact I, do dump when I now eat excessive sugar. It is definitely a good thing to keep me away from sugar.  Yes, your father's cookies may be out but most likely you can have one. You need to weigh the benefits of surgery to the downsides. I found that I do not miss the sweets. It was like when I was first banded, I missed terribly pasta and breads. I learned to live without them and that was a good thing. 

RNY has been a good choice for me. I was successful with the band and have lost another 60 pounds over the past 4 months. I find it an easy surgery to live with. It actually has more freedom than the band. I also find it more restrictive in the quantity I can eat. I do not regret the choice at all.

Tom

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

Kvp1029
on 12/3/13 3:45 am
Revision on 12/28/13

For me the choice to be resleeved is because I've nearly gained all my weight back from a 7 year weight maintainence.  I stayed between 140-145.  I had a life issue, my sleeve stretched out.  I would rather be thin than stuck in this disgusting body.  I feel shame and anger at myself for letting this happen.  I just lost my will  to live.  Nothing tastes as good as thin feels. IMHO 

Most Active