Saturday Morning pre-band

don_missouri
on 7/11/08 10:14 pm - st louis, MO

Hello...

I am new to this forum and in a holding pattern with my insurance company to have gastric banding. Yes, I am having the Realize Band and I was so happy to find a forum. Thanks so much for all of the information from you "band-its". My knowledge base has grown over the past several days reading about everything I will experience.

My biggest fear is coming home. What is the pain like after surgery. I've read that it's like you've done a ton of sit ups and your muscles are torn. Is this true? Have a great day everyone and thanks!

salenalee
on 7/12/08 1:53 pm

Hey! I had my band surgery about a month ago. I was really scared about the gas pains I heard others talk about. Luckily, I didn't have much gas pain. I felt a little pain here and there, but never any shoulder pain. Right after surgery, I felt the incisions ****il they gave me pain medicine :). They did sting a little bit. After a few days, I felt sore, but it definitely was not the most pain or discomfort I ever felt. I was off pain meds after 2 days and didn't need tylenol or anything. It just felt weird around the incisions, especially where the port was placed. I am still getting use to that. Hope this helps, I am new to this site.

Salena

sunshineangel_1977
on 7/12/08 3:23 pm - sabina, OH

Pain after surgery isn't all that bad...The worst pain is from the gas left in your abdomen.  It has nowhere to go so it pushes and usually settles in your chest and shoulder.  If you get up and walk even a few minutes it relieves the pain.  It's usually gone within a few days if you move like your supposed to.  I remember being in waking up and feeling alot of pressure in my left shoulder.  I got a pain shot went back to sleep and didn't wake back up until i was on my way to the room.  I was in my room maybe an hour and asked if i could get up and walk...they looked suprised and said YES....(my doc told me to help with pain walking was the best thing...most the ppl that had the same procedure that day refused to get up...i found this out later)...As soon as i got up and out the door i felt 100% better.  I have trouble walking and i forced myself to do it and i am glad.  I was pain free (had surgery on thursday) by saturday morning.  The only pain i had was at the port site when i laid down or moved the wrong way and that felt like a sharp pulling sensation...it lasted about 2 weeks though.  I just slept in a recliner.  I'm not going to tell you having the surgery didn't hurt....however it was very...very tolerable!!  Especially with thepain meds they give you!  liquid pain killers.  I had liquid lortab...some doctors insert a Q-ball also...thats a little ball that numbs the site and lasts a few days.  I didnt have one of those though.

But i had my surgery on thursday and saturday i was a play practice and sunday i was singing and acting in a play...i had to get up and move go up and down stairs...use my diaphram to sing....I had no problems...alot of people are able to go to work within a week.

hope this helps

stephanie

love hate relationship Eating Disorder      

don_missouri
on 7/13/08 9:42 am - st louis, MO

Thanks everyone for the replies. This has been most helpful and I'm feeling better every time I read this site. You are all so amazing and I know that I'll come through all of this just fine. Does anyone have a list they've created or  received from someone else that would be useful as an "after-home list"?

I'm thinking perhaps a list of "definitely have this on hand" or "would be nice if I had this on hand. I'm trying to create a list of things I might need when I get home. So far I've come up with..."take two pillows and have energy drinks on hand" Any suggestions are just great!

Peace to you all...

don

Most Active