Problems

lgf
on 7/3/08 10:37 am - Edison, NJ
I was banded in January  2008.  Had no pproblems and have lost a little over 50 lbs. About three weeks ago I started to have some pretty severe reflux problems. I've been sleeping sitting up, constant slimming and pbing. The doctor had be have an endoscopy done and it came back clear. Also did a barium swallowand everything seems to be backed up. Has any one else had these problems?  I'm on clear liquids as per my Dr.  and he wants me to have to band removed. It's been working so well until now that I'll be really devastated.  Help  lgf.
Michael Eak
on 7/3/08 11:13 am - Largo, FL
Is this your Primary Doctor recommending it be removed or the Surgeon who placed it in you? How many fills have you've received? If it's back up has your band been unfilled completely? Like during the Barium testing.
Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
lgf
on 7/3/08 10:55 pm - Edison, NJ
My bariatric surgeon is recommending the removal. I also never had any fills done. Thanks for responding,
Michael Eak
on 7/4/08 4:43 pm - Largo, FL
The only thing that comes to mind now is that there are three sizes of the Bandings now and it's possible that your surgeon placed the smallest one in you as you might've needed a larger one as the small one is as your band had been filled to it's fullest. Best to ask what size was placed in you.
Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
lgf
on 7/5/08 9:01 am - Edison, NJ
I wasn't aware that the realize band came in sizes. I'll ask my doctor.  Thanks
Cubankitten9
on 7/5/08 8:48 am
LGF... Michael is correct about the band size being too small. A year after I was banded, same thing, reflux... and lots of Rolaids and Zantac, etc... My surgeon told me that's usually due to inflammation in the stoma and that being unfilled and being easy on the band will eventually bring down the inflammation, etc... Well, for 18 months I've been unfilled and practically zero restriction.  After talking to my band surgeon, he said the same thing about the band  size... he also said that once you've tried everything, the only option really is to remove the band.  I said there was simply no way I was gonna be without some kind of a weight loss tool, so I'm having my band removed and having the Duodenal Switch done on 8/18.  I considered going with the sleeve, as it's only restrictive like the band, instead of restrictive and malabsorptive like the gastric bypass and the DS, but truthfully, I am sooooo tired of waiting.  I really worked my band and lost 67 lbs and think if it hadn't been for the reflux, I'd have continued to do well with the band.  But alas, that's not how it panned out, and long term, I believe if I do my part, the DS will make maintaining my weight loss a sure thing. What I'm trying to say, is that the band isn't the only surgical option... you tried it, it worked for you for a good 6 months, now a complication that's beyond your control shouldn't doom  you to be fat... there are other possibilities... but I certainly know how you feel... I probably should have had this band out a year ago, but refused to have a doctor insist I have it removed, because I figured the band was the end of the road for me.  Now, I've found out differently.  Research the VSG (gastric sleeve), the RNY and the DS (in fact, look at all the forums OH has, that'll give you an idea as to all the options! Hope this helps. Kyle
lgf
on 7/5/08 9:00 am - Edison, NJ
Thanks for the info. I'll look into the sleeve. I really don't want anything that will affect absorption.  I've been on a clear liquid diet for 3 days now and am feeling some relief. I actually slept through the  past 2 night. (although in a recliner). There has been no reflux during he day.  Keep your fingers crossed for me. I call the surgeon on Monday.
jenwa
on 7/5/08 9:59 pm - canton, MI
Cuban, It sounds like from the time frames you had a lap band not a Realize. As I remember the proctor doctors with Realize like mine since I know I was one of the first started in the uSA in Oct Nov 2007. So 18 months ago should have your band lap-band. right ? Realize only comes in one size. I AM Sorry things did not work for you, but also having 3/4 of your stomach permantainy removed is not for everyone either. That does not sound very reverseable to me. RNY, a little better
Jeannieiam
on 7/5/08 2:45 pm - Hot Springs, AR
I am supposed to get the realize band in a couple of weeks....Is it always better to have the larger one?  What do they base their decision on???  Thanks!!
lgf
on 7/5/08 8:41 pm - Edison, NJ
The fact that the band came in sizesis news to me.  I'm going to ask my surgeon about it on Monday.
Most Active