First Plastic Surgery Scheduled (Abdominoplasty) Need Veteran's Advice

Heidi L.
on 12/30/14 1:49 pm - San Jose, CA
RNY on 09/21/10 with
I'm getting ready to have my first plastic surgery (phase 1 of 3) in 41 days. We are planning to do the full tummy tuck with lipo. I'm sure there will be plenty of muscle repair (4 massive singletons and 1 set of twins).

My question to you:
If you had a little over a month to prepare for your first surgery what would you have done different, or the same?

Also, those that have had Abdominoplasty and horizontal c-section, how does the pain compare?

I couldn't open a door for 6 weeks by myself after the c-section with the twins.
Bronco0605
on 12/30/14 6:17 pm, edited 12/30/14 6:17 pm

Did you have one c-section or more than one? Each individuals reaction to surgery is so different!  I have not had abdominoplasty yet so I cannot that to c section but I have had 3 other abdominal procedures in addition to my VSG. Each surgery has required more recovery time FOR ME than my c -section . I was was up and about and driving when my son was 10 days old. After that my other surgeries it took me much longer! The worst surgery by far was my hemorrhoidectomy that was a nightmare and that was not even abdominal! 

Heidi L.
on 12/31/14 1:59 am - San Jose, CA
RNY on 09/21/10 with
Just one c-section. I've had numerous laproscopic procedures done where recovery went well (less than a week on narcotics).

I'm just hoping I will be able to open a door by myself within a couple weeks. Although, when I get home I will have plenty of helpers.
purplemoonflower
on 12/30/14 7:33 pm

Congratulations! I had something similar but mine was called a panniculectomy. I had an apron of skin that had to be removed. I only had insurance for 3 more months after I had lost my first 100 pounds. I figured better some than none gone! LOL It was the best decision ever. The RNY was painful and the pannus removal was rough but believe it or not, the lipo on one side of my back was the worst for me. I literally lived in a recliner for a month. So much easier to get out of and go to the bathroom. I believe if you have gone through twins...you'll do just fine! Everybody's threshold of pain is different but hey...you've come a looooong way!

purplemoonflower
on 12/30/14 8:01 pm

Congratulations! I had something similar but mine was called a panniculectomy. I had an apron of skin that had to be removed. I only had insurance for 3 more months after I had lost my first 100 pounds. I figured better some than none gone! LOL It was the best decision ever. The RNY was painful and the pannus removal was rough but believe it or not, the lipo on one side of my back was the worst for me. I literally lived in a recliner for a month. So much easier to get out of and go to the bathroom. I believe if you have gone through twins...you'll do just fine! Everybody's threshold of pain is different but hey...you've come a looooong way!

purplemoonflower
on 12/30/14 8:02 pm

Ihearttennis
on 12/30/14 11:12 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I am 13 days out from a tummy tuck with muscle repair, lower body lift, bracioplasty (armS), breast lift/augmentation and mons lipo.

The worst pain was from the muscle tightening, but it is bearable with pain meds. 

Before my surgery I prepared by going to the grocery and having some meals frozen. 

I also got 3 baskets that I lined up on my cedar chest in my room next to the recliner I would be recuperating in. 

in the first basket I had all my meds filled with descriptions of use written in a sharpy.

2nd basket had my bandages, peroxide, assure wipes(for sponge baths), q tips, and all other medical supplies I needed.

3rd basket was my pj's, men's white t-shirts for under the binder, spare bras etc.

this was helpful to those taking care of me so everything was organized and within reach.

I looked into an electric lift recliner but it was way too expensive so I depended on my husband to lift me up and down.  I suggest having someone stay with you who will bring you drink and meds on schedule and who will empty drains and clean you up.  This experience has really brought my husband and I much closer. 

if you have access to a walker and toilet seat lift I would have them handy.  I ended up not needing them.  I also bought a freshet from Amazon for $5 but didn't need that either though some people swear by it.  My toilet is probably higher than most.

I also borrowed a grabber to pick up stuff I dropped.  I would also suggest a back scratcher (I itched everywhere either from anesthesia or pain meds) and chap stick.

Have lots of protein handy, and make sure to stay hydrated.  Have chargers close by  and maybe a bell to get someone's attention. 

I had two vaginal childbirths so I can't say if this is worse than a c section.  I can only say that after my VSG I often would ask  what in the hell did I

do to myself.  While this recovery was harder than the vsg I've never doubted my decision once.  Day 12 was a turning point for me.  I got the last of my drains out and actually felt like a human again.

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

Elizabeth C.
on 12/30/14 11:45 pm - Mansfield, TX

Thank you for posting this!!  I am a ways from plastics, but I know they will be in my future!  I already have loose skin from the 100 lbs I lost with the Lap Band.  Now I am about 65 lbs from goal, I just had the Sleeve almost 2 months ago and I am researching plastic surgeons and trying to figure out how I am going to pay for it all. :)  I am more worried about the plastic surgery than I was about the sleeve.  I love all the advice you had on keeping orgainized and being prepared.

Just to clarify... you had all these done at once?  (tummy tuck with muscle repair, lower body lift, bracioplasty (armS), breast lift/augmentation and mons lipo)  When the time comes, I want all that done at the same time too, but I was thinking it would be to hard on your body to do the arms and breasts at the same time as the lower body lift... if not, you have just made my day!! :)

5'-5" ~ Lap Band 03/2008 Converted to Sleeve 11/6/2014 HW 296 Start Pre Op Diet for Sleeve 226 SW 217 -9 M1: 202 -15 M2: 196 -6 M3: 186 -10 M4: 180 -6 M5: 176 -4 M6: 171 -5 M7: 167 -4 M8: 165 -2 M9: 161 -4 M10: 158 -3 M11: 158 -0

Ihearttennis
on 1/1/15 1:24 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

Everyone thought I was  crazy to do it all at once but I'm glad I did because of time off from work and one anesthesia and operating room bill.  Yes, it hurts but the interesting thing is that it doesn't all hurt at the same time.  In the beginning it was the muscle tightening that hurt the most without a doubt. I couldn't even feel my breasts for days so they didn't hurt at all in comparison.  The mons drain hurt more than the arms but once that was removed I noticed the arm pain.My lower back hurts when standing too long but the 360 part of the back incision hasn't hurt at all.   Now that the tummy muscles are starting to feel better the breasts are starting to bother me more. I'm not going to mislead you, it is a painful recovery but I stay on top my meds and it is definitely bearable.  I have also not had to do anything other than heal.  My kids are driving and independent, my mom cooks for us and my husband has taken off tfom work over the holidays and has done everything for me.  We have actually enjoyed all our time together and he even said this was one of his favorite Christmases ever.  ( We have spent a lot of time watching movies and reading in front of the fireplace with no stress from work)

Not every doctor will do all of these procedures, I had four consults.  This doctor is the chief of plastic surgery with tons of experience and was recommended to me by 5 other doctors that said he was the only one they would go to. A friend of mine who specializes in face lifts recommended him as well.He said that someone like me, in good health, could do it all at once.

Plus, its fun seeing your whole transformation at once.

The other thing I forgot to mention is to get comfortable gowns or night shirts that open from the front.  The old lady house coats with snaps has worked the best for me.

I wish I would have gotten the tip about the hanging rope from the canopy beforehand.That would have been a huge help.

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

Elizabeth C.
on 1/1/15 9:49 pm - Mansfield, TX

Thank you!  That definitely sounds like the route I would like to go... if I am able to find as great a surgeon as you. :)  How often and how many follow up visits do you need to have with the surgeon?  Maybe I could fly to LA from Texas for my surgery. ;)  I love how it has brought you and your husband closer!  That is awesome! :)  Thanks for all the helpful advice and information!

5'-5" ~ Lap Band 03/2008 Converted to Sleeve 11/6/2014 HW 296 Start Pre Op Diet for Sleeve 226 SW 217 -9 M1: 202 -15 M2: 196 -6 M3: 186 -10 M4: 180 -6 M5: 176 -4 M6: 171 -5 M7: 167 -4 M8: 165 -2 M9: 161 -4 M10: 158 -3 M11: 158 -0

Most Active