Arm Lift Scar?

butterfly3851
on 9/2/14 1:04 am - TX

I'm trying to decide whether to get the arm lift or not when I get my TT and Breast Lift on Sept. 24th.  My doctor said the recovery is not bad for the arm lift - the main thing will be the TT soreness.

She places the scar on the back of the arm - armpit to elbow - that I will have to live with. She also told me that my arms would not improve with diet, exercise, etc. because of the loose skin.  She feels I would scar would heal well but to be aware I will have one.  

Right now I never wear sleeveless clothes because of my arms - But I live in a warm climate where I wear short sleeves 9 months out of the year.  The end of Sept. is perfect for my recovery.  I can always do the arm lift later if I don't do it now.  

Big decision!  Thanks for your input!

Please respond with how you feel about your scars - 

sweetvania
on 9/2/14 3:23 am - mississauga, Canada

Hey if I were you id do it. I did both an arm lift and thigh lift together and I've never been happier.   Yes its a long scar but the loose skin gone really makes it worth while. Id he happy to show pics and discuss with you anytime about the procedures I also did a tummy tuck too separate tho

RNY 07/05/11 dr klein!!! love it soo happy xxoo!!
Supergirl7877
on 9/2/14 4:53 am

I think that it really comes down to what you can live with. :). I have had two surgeries (tummy, thighs, breast lift/aug and then my back and breast touch up a year later).  Given my experience and the way I feel about my scars (and sensation loss in various places) I have opted to not have my arms done.  With that though, my arms are "not THAT bad."  I go sleeveless all the time but I would feel more self conscious with the scars.  Just my .02. 

jeterway
on 9/2/14 6:30 am

I had my arms done about a year ago.  My scars are on the inside of my arms.  My arms weren't all that bad but I am so glad that I did them.  The recovery was relatively easy compared to other surgeries.  Whenever I shook a bottle of anything to mix it, all I heard was my arms flapping - now all I hear is the liquid in the bottle - LOL.  I wear short and sleeveless tops all of the time and I have no problem with my scars.  Unless I raise my arms over my head, no one can see the scars unless I show them to someone.  I am so happy with how my arms feel - no more loose skin and the area that remains was lipoed, so I can see the results of all of my exercise.  Good luck.

chris53212
on 9/2/14 8:18 am

Arm left ...........best thing I ever did!  My arms were not bad but the difference is night and day.  I am 8 weeks out and the scars so far are not bad.

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/14 8:25 am

THe arm lift usually does not add much discomfort like your plastic surgeon told you. Out of all the areas, the arms scars tend to heal the worse, probably because of all the motion there after the surgery. I would recommend supporting the scars there and in the other areas for at least two months after your surgery.

Dr. Edward Jonas Domanskis is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

12709 Miramar Parkway

Miramar,Florida 33027

954.367-7984/367-7986(FAX)

1441 Avocado Avenue, Suite 307

Newport Beach, California 92660

949.640-6324/640-7347(FAX)

Assistant Clinical Professor of SurgeryWOS-Plastic,University of California (Irvine)

Orange County’s Physician of Excellence/America’s Top Physicians/Top Doctors

Plastic Surgery- 2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2012/2013

President,American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons www.ASBPS.org

Non-Toxic, No Nanos Skin Care- www.ORGANODERM.com

Scar Therapy- www.ScaRxtape.com

RobynJC
on 9/2/14 9:26 am

I am currently 3 weeks out from a breast and arm lift. (I have had a LBL and thigh lift in the past) and I have to say, the healing isn't that bad, the scars are a little gnarly but minor compared to what my thighs looked like. I have 2 split open incisions in my arm pits though that can hurt like the dickens and look something like a Grand Canyon of hamburg to me (ewwwwww).

But.....I am so happy I did it and it is totally worth it. My arms were not that bad to begin with. I had about 3-4 inches of saggy skin when I left end my arms out. But the skin was not creepy and I could have lived with it from a physical point of view because it didn't hinder me in any way.  However, my arms were very visible to me. My legs, tummy, bum, etc are covered with clothes 90% of the time. My arms however I saw every day, multiple times a day. Doing my hair, working out at the gym, even just walking past a mirror. From an emotional perspective it was something that chipped at me. And no amount of exercise would change what they looked like.

I lift with a trainer 2x a week and them once during the weekend on my own.  I have developed pretty nice biceps (and triceps under all that skin) but couldn't really embrace that because my arms still looked flabby. But two days ago, my hubby was rubbing some lotion on my back and arms for (the compression garments make my skin dry and itchy) and said "wow". I looked up at him to ask what and he said "have you seen your arms?  You have some pretty nice guns there!"  And wouldn't ya know, he was right. I looked down at my unflexed arm and I could see muscle definition from my bicep without flexing. 

THAT right there makes what ever discomfort, pain, inconvenience or aggravation I may have while recovering worth it.   So good luck to you for what ever you decide. It is a very personal decision that we can all offer our take on but bottom line you have to decide if you are willing to trade some scars (which could get gnarly) for slimmer more shapely arms. For me the answer was YES!YES!YES. 

Miss150
on 9/2/14 10:05 am

MY ARMS WERE BAD...COULD HAVE FLOWN TO SOUTH AMERICA ON THE SLIGHTEST BREEZE....BEST THING EVER...RESULTS SO VERY GOOD.  PICS IN MY PROFIE IF YOU CARE TO LOOK AROUND.  THE SCARS (VERY MINIMAL-GREAT SURGEON--AND I TOOK RECOVERY SERIOUSLY) MINIMAL.  WEARING SLEEVELESS EVERYTHING THESE DAYS.  GOOD LUCK IN YOUR DECISION- BONNIE

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

butterfly3851
on 9/4/14 2:37 am - TX

Thank you all for your comments!  They have really helped me make a decision to go forward with the arm lift surgery.

Robyn - hope your open split incisions heal quickly.  Congrats on those new "guns" - I've been working with a trainer for over a year now 3 times a week and really can't see any muscle def at all in my upper arms - can't wait to see some results!

Chris & Jeterway - Glad things are going well!

Supergirl - I understand your decision!

Dr. Domonski's - thanks also for your comments.  I will be asking my plastic surgeon about supporting the scars for 2 months.  

Bonnie - Wow! What a transformation!  Your pictures are very inspiring!  Congrats on all of your hard work!  Beautiful!  

Ok - I'm making my list and checking it twice getting ready for my big day!  Nervous!  

Sherrie P.
on 9/6/14 1:20 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

I am 9 days post op arm lift, breast lift and tummy tuck!

It has been tough...but honestly I am very glad I did all three at once. The tummy was harder as far as pain but the arms have been more of a problem as far as day to day activity.

Get a good recliner!

OH - and my doc also only does the behind the arm too! Check out my pictures in my profile.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active