Checking in, three weeks post-TT

Mlkpas
on 9/20/13 10:57 am - Pasadena, CA

I'm three weeks out from my TT and I thought I'd check in.  I got my drains out after two weeks and honestly, things went downhill a little after that.  I developed some fluid accumulation (seroma) in my lower abdomen and have had it drained twice with a VERY LARGE NEEDLE!  LOL  The first time (Wednesday) he drained 100 cc's and the second time (today, Friday) it was about half that.  I'm going back on Tuesday and hopefully the issue will have resolved itself.  I was a little flipped out by the "sloshy" feeling under my skin but the doc is not overly concerned so that made me feel a lot better.

My incision is healing nicely.  Still waiting for my belly button to find its final home in the middle -- it seems the more swollen I am, the more off-center it is, which I think it probably a good sign that it will be centered when all the swelling is gone.

The compression garment is not my favorite thing, but if it's keeping the swelling down I guess it's worth it!

That's the report from three weeks out!  I am VERY VERY VERY glad I decided to take four weeks off work!

I'm 5'2" and 55 years old.  VSG 3/17/10

Christina D.
on 9/20/13 11:01 am
VSG on 08/16/12

I had my surgery 2 weeks ago this coming Monday. Got the last 2 (out of 6) today and I am very excited to be able to shower this weekend. Hopefully, I will not develop a seroma! Hopefully, you will have a smooth ride for the rest of your recovery!

Height: 5'4" Current Weight & BMI: 125.2/21.5 Lowest Weight/BMI: 125.2/21.5

Lap Band: 8/13/09 Pre-Op Weight: 245  Weight Lost: 55-60 lbs, band removed 8/2011

Revised to VSG: 8/16/12 Pre-OpWeight: 236 Weight Lost: 110.8 lbs EWL:  121%

Weight Goals: 145 lbs (normal BMI) in 32 weeks. 135 lbs in 37 weeks. 130 lbs in 45 weeks. Fitness Goals: 5 K -- 4 completed in 2013! 10k -- 1 completed 2013! Half marathon -- 3 planned for Spring 2014.

Plastic Surgery: LBL, BA/BL done by Dr. J Barnthouse  9/13.     

Quote: If you find yourself in a hole, quit digging! ~Will Rogers

Candy V.
on 9/22/13 1:07 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

Ohhh, needles scare the crap out of me LOL Sorry you have to go through that.

My surgeon doesn't use drains!  It freaked me out at first, cause I thought everyone did.  He does much more stitching down of the abdominal skin to keep fluid from having space to accumulate.   So far I love it,  one week post op, not much swelling and standing up straight. 

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Mlkpas
on 9/22/13 4:04 am - Pasadena, CA

Sounds like you are doing great, Candy!!

Honestly, everything is still so numb that the idea of the big needle is far, far worse than the reality!

It's now Sunday, two days after the second session with the needle, and the situation is much, much better.  I'm going back on Tuesday but at the rate things are going there will be little or nothing for him to aspirate.  And my weight is back to normal after having shot up 3 pounds due to fluid retention  So I'm feeling very optimistic that it will be smooth sailing from here.  (Knock on wood! ;) )

I'm 5'2" and 55 years old.  VSG 3/17/10

Candy V.
on 9/22/13 11:51 pm - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

yes, I also went up in weight in the hospital- almost 10 lbs.  Now I have lost that and another few, from the skin removal i'm sure. Did they tell you how much they took off in pounds?  Mine was around 2 lbs.

I am glad to hear that you are doing better. :)  I am also numb,  didn't think of that lol

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Most Active