constipation issue

aphephobicfriend
on 12/8/12 1:20 am - Ocala, FL

hey guys,

I am two days out from my abdoninoplasty with muscle tightening and lipo. My doctor told me that the pain meds were constipating, so I took a laxative yesterday and then another dose this morning, but I havn't had any success. I have been eating plenty since the surgery, but I had to take medicine which completely expelled everything from my digestive track the day befoe  went any. Anyway, I was just wondering how long it took y'all to have a BM, and if anything you did helped.

Other than that I;m doing pretty well. Sleeping, eating, peeing, repeat  basically.

As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly!
Carolinagirl162
on 12/8/12 2:17 am - Fuquay-Varina, NC

Enemas were the only thing that worked for me until I completely stopped taking the narcotics. 

Good luck!

LBL - July 2011; BL, BA, Arm lift - Oct 2011; scar revisions and implant exchange-Jan 2012; thigh lift - Oct 2012.. all done by Dr. Richard Carlino

acbbrown
on 12/8/12 3:25 am - Granada Hills, CA

It took me a week before I had a BM and it was one of the most painful BMs since my sleeve surgery. I had been taking my rx laxative, and drinking 90 oz of water, but between 2 days of narcotics, and the lack of movement, I was doomed. Start taking a stool softner and drinking at least 90oz of water to try and prevent the "giving birth to a brick" experience. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

jmelyn1977
on 12/8/12 9:02 am
Increase your water intake - as much as you can tolerate.

Jamie

amyc
on 12/8/12 2:20 pm - Jacksboro, TN
Revision on 02/28/12
It was a week for me also. I started taking stool softener the day of my surgery. After 4 days without a bm I started taking ex lax. The only thing that helped was enemas.

aphephobicfriend
on 12/9/12 8:33 am - Ocala, FL

thanks everyone- I had a really rough third day with a ton of pain and felt super blocked up but my surgeon had me try milk of magnesium and then when that didn't work I had an suppository laxative and was finally able to poop. I feel a ton better.

As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly!
DrL
on 12/9/12 10:34 am - Houston, TX

Narcotics, pain, and lack of activity all conspire to cause constipation after surgery and it is a real hassle !

I generally "work from below" and recommend glycerine suppositories or better yet these little pre-made glycerine enemas.

Laxatives can cause cramps especially when the colon may already be distended.

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active