Preoccupied with thoughts about plastic surgery

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/09 2:10 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I find myself preoccupied with thoughts about plastic surgeries I want to have done ...LBL, Inner Thigh lift, maybe a Butt Aug, maybe revision on arms.  Anyhow, I am so excited about the prospect of having the LBL/Inner Thigh work done.  At the same time I'm sometimes get terrified at the thought of cutting my body open so much.......this thought passes fairly quickly.
I can't wait for it to be done and the healing to be well on it's way so I can finally see what I will look like.  Now if I could just decide if I've lost enough yet.....

Does anyone else find themselves thinking about this stuff a lot.........I'm serious it's on my mind the majority of my waking hours!!! 
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/21/09 2:13 am - OH
I did the same thing with my mons lift and my arms (But, oddly, not so much with the panniculectomy (the 1st procedure) and the TT (the last one))... I hated the sagging skin SO much and simply could not WAIT to get rid of it and feel better about my body.

I think it's pertty normal, especially considering how much we have invested emotionally in losing so much weight.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

LadyJwb
on 4/21/09 3:05 am - Philadelphia, PA

I thought it was only me...My mother hates that I want "additional" things done..excuse me my arms look like a rubber band that is pulled to the maximum length..lol my tummy is beyond explanation and the thighs look like somebody that 1003 years old. I think of way to get the funds to do this all darn day..LOL . The weirdest thing is I don't even think about the risk or complications don't even want to put that negative energy out there. Moosie1234 I wish you much luck with the LBL and maybe your wishes all come true...NO YOUR NOT THE ONLY ONE!

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/09 4:08 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I must admit I do think about the risks/complications a lot.....

I'm pulling the funds together by cutting out 1 vacation trip each year (last year, this year, and the next few) AND I recently sold my house in NY, moved to Florida and am buying a BIGGER house for 1/2 the price.....that way I can spend money on "repairing" me.  

BTW, I think I must hold the record for the scariest looks thighs!!!!!
Thanks for the note...
Ruth

gypsywoman6789
on 4/21/09 3:40 am - Hudson, NH
Sometimes I htink about all the things I'd "like" to have done but for me I'm just not willing to undergo the knife that many times!  I think it all depends on what our wls has left us to deal with.  I'm fortunate that I don't "have" to have my arms and thighs done, would I like to, sure but they are not so bad that I can't live with them.

I do worry sometimes that I will never be satisfied and just keep wanting more procedures done and where does it stop?  But luckily for me, like I said, I'm just not wiling to go under the knife that many times so that keeps me in check.
(deactivated member)
on 4/21/09 4:04 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Lucky you!!  I'm with you I hate the idea of going under the knife and anesthesia too many times.  This is one big reason I am trying to combine as many procedures as I can...

For me I have so much extra skin flapping around on my legs, stomach and butt I need to have it done!  (arms too but I just did them).
I could probably use some help on my neck, and under the eyes but will draw the line at just fixing the really bad body parts......I can live with my puffy under eyes (for now anyway).

Susan S.
on 4/21/09 4:04 am - Roselle, NJ
Ruth - I had to laugh at your post only because I so identify with it - this has been the most self-absorbed period of my life......and why on earth would anybody choose to have three major surgeries in 5 months if they weren't 'preoccupied'.......I will tell you it's wonderful to have it all behind me....and now I"m concentrating on the regaining my strength and stamina and getting on with the rest of my life.......weird thing though - I miss my surgeon!!!!  I love him!   I have another re-eval next week and I'm so looking forward.     It will happen......after all we've done to get here - the patience required to get through it step by step is a challenge....and I"m not a patient person.......but get there you will!     Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

cleos_mom
on 4/21/09 4:12 am, edited 4/21/09 4:12 am - phila., PA
my daughter tells me I have a new addiction Plastic Surgery. I only ever wanted my tummy done,then after that it really made my thigs look horrible, so we had that and my back & butt done, I never wanted my arms done, now I will get that done in the fall, I can't wait to get may arms done.
I told her it is hard its like when you start working on the house can you just paint 1 wall no, you have to finish the whole room,as long as you have good credit and don't owe out to much, Put it on a CC with 0% for a year and you can also get miles. I look at it like this when you buy a new car you drive it out of the dealership and immediately loose 6 or 7,000 dollars, but my plastics will last me forever
sablouwho
on 4/21/09 4:40 am - La La Land, CA
Hi ruth,

(As an aside, I don't recall--do I owe you a PM? If I do, I apologize, I sometimes get a little lost with all the email and PM conversations I have going on.)

I feel the same way. I think about it a lot.  And also am having trouble knowing if I've lost enough.

It's  a similar situation for me as it was when I had bariatric surgery. The The prospect of having WLS really occupied my mind and I had to think about that for a while before I was ready to do it. There were so emotional issues that I had to deal with (I felt I was a failure if I needed to resort to surgery, and I was losing weight as a pre-op, so  sometimes I would think I was losing  on my own and didn't need WLS.

There is a part of me that feels that I don't "deserve"  plastics. Just as I didn't feel that I "deserved" WLS. (Trying to hold back the waterworks as I say this.) But I know that there is a lot of pain and hurt in my psyche regarding the way I look right now when undressed. I don't feel pretty. I feel that I need to accept that I won't ever have the body that I might have had if I never became MO. But I can't undo that and can only work with what I've got.

That means Lower and Upper body lifts and scars. It's hard--my RNY scars are small and fading -- the majority of the operatoin is on my organs, and no one can "see" that I had RNY.

But the plastics is different. The surgery is on the skin. The skin is a part of me/my identity as a woman, and how I look, in a way that my rerouted stomach/intestines and missing gallbladder are not.

The idea of an LBL and the recoverykind of recovery I'm hearing about gives me pause. I can't turn back the clock and have a nice body (the one that never got obese). The only option (besides doing nothing) I can have is a reconstructed body

I could go on, but YES, I am indeed thinking a lot about plastics these days!

~Cindy  

Watch my first appearance on
The Doctors TV Show   (aired Dec 2008)
Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

Cynthia's Lower Body Lift procedure by Dr. Siamak Agha
 this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

Bella8891
on 4/21/09 12:21 pm, edited 4/21/09 12:22 pm - NY
Hi Cynthia, I hope you don't mind me responding to your post. You deserve plastics as much as you deserved WLS.  Don't regret who you were or who you are.  Maybe you are empathetic today because you had to endure your obesity battle, and maybe you would not have been if you had that nice body without having to work for it .  Besides, you really don't know how your body would have looked (unless you were thin at one time) just what you imagine it to look like.  The scars are there to remind you of all your hard work.  Nothing worth having is ever easy and you deserve it!
Ciao,
Bella

SURGERY......................................NOW........................................................ GOAL

Most Active